GPS Recommendations

spincast

Hey Guys,

I'm in the market for a GPS unit. Looks like there's a whack out there. The promos sound great but when I google the unit I also hear lots of grumbles from owners. Any suggestions - or equally important - ones to avoid? Ideally I'm looking for a hand held as I want to get out on Erie, Ontario and some remote lakes up north too. I'm new to this as most of my fishing to date has been small lake in a 12 footer or rivers in canoe, but just bought Starfire 16 footer a couple weeks ago

map76cxs is pretty fine lost of maps to buy for it

and it floats too

I have had mine for a long time and love. it I have dropped it and ran over it with my ATV..takes a licking and keeps on ticking

I did fill up all it's memory once and it crashed..but I forgave it and still love it

What is your budget?

I'm in the market for one too. I read reviews online and checked youtube owner reviews. Seems to me that garmin is a good company to go for. Then I checked http://www.gpscentral.ca/products-handheld.html for the comparison charts. Then I downloaded Ibycus topo (free) and have played with the gamin maps charts too, just to get a feel of what I'll be looking at. For my budget and the features I want so far the best I've seen for myself is the http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/etrexventure-hc.html

I saw it going cheaper on amazon.ca ($130)with free shipping but I'm holding off until I get closer to summer because prices should drop lower. I've been reading articles about android and other phones such as the iphone that just need software to be installed to make them into GPS unit and its impact on reducing sales of handheld gps units. Also the Canadian dollar should be going on par too instead of sitting at $0.96 on paypal.

If I could afford it I would get a GPS that can take memory cards and floats. I would avoid getting a GPS that uses the serial interface because USB is much easier to work with as far as recognition and file transfer compared to USB.

Edited by Syn

Haven't really figured a budget yet. seem 'em run from just over 100 to almost 700. Figure somewhere in between is where I'll end up. Like the free maps idea! I saw one (Busnell) that had XM / Serious radio weather forecasts you could map over top of your position that looked pretty cool for under 200, but almost evryone who had one said they crashed. Thanks for the links I'll check 'em out!