Water testing the knotless leaders

Garry2Rs

The weather has been unstable for the last week.

We have had high winds and even some rain.

Temperatures dropped from the hi-70's to the mid-60's

This week we are in the 80's, but again we have the wind...gusts to 30mph.

Yesterday morning it was calm...

I quickly headed out to "water test" my new knotless leaders and the Hollow Ace line.

These leaders were in two styles.

The first was a 15 pound test piece of fluorocarbon threaded straight into the space inside the hollow core braided line.

Using a hollow needle, I pushed the fluorocarbon line 3 feet up inside the hollow braid.

The fluoro leader is held in place by the braid clamping down on it like a "Finger Trap."

Hollowace002.jpg

To keep the raw end of the braid from unraveling, I tied a small nail knot and added a drop of glue to the joint.

001-5.jpg

The second style differed only in that instead of the leader being part of the line on the reel, the leader was attached to the running line with a loop.

This required that I create a loop at the end of my line and another at the end of my 12 foot leader.

The loops are formed in the middle of a section of line by pulling a loop of line inside of the running line, using a reverse-latch needle.

This is hard to imagine and harder for me to explain, grin, without pictures.

The photo essay will have to wait for another post, so just trust me for now.

The loops are smooth have 100% line strength and there are no knots.

30poundloop-to-loopleader001.jpg

This loop-to-loop attachment would allow for quick leader changes, and is the way I think I will wind up going in the end.

30poundloop-to-loopleader004.jpg

The joint where the two loops met would go through the guides smoothly in the backyard,

but I needed to actually fish with it to know how it worked when it counted.

loop-to-loop002.jpg

These changing weather conditions are effecting the start of the spawn.

Some fish are moving into the shallows, but each time it cools down again they disappear.

There were several boats fishing the spawning flats at 8AM, when I got to the reservoir.

I opted to do my testing along the deeper canals and in the pools where two canals meet.

BackwaterDec2807.jpg

We caught three small bass on crankbaits, all males.

Two on a Spro Little John in Rootbeer Chartreuse and one on a Strike King Sexy Chrome Redeye Shad rattle bait.

firstfishonnewleader002.jpg

firstfishonnewleader001.jpg

I broke one leader trying to pull the rattle bait off of a snag. The line was over a root protruding from the bank.

During the retrieve, the lure came out of the water, part way over the roots, and snagged in the wood.

The line broke at the lure not at the joint and I was able to retrieve the lure.

Both styles of the new leaders were a complete success.

When they are wet they are even slicker than in the backyard.

The 40 pound Hollow Ace is a very smooth line. It's a 16 strand braid so I guess that's not a surprise.

The fluorocarbon that I am using isn't leader material. I will acquire a spool of actual leader type fluoro asap.

I suspect that the real leader material will be a little stiffer and have a harder outside finish.

What I have now works fine, but the real thing can't hurt especially when fishing around Zebra Mussels and all the rocks we have in my part of the Kawarthas.

Garry2R's

In the boat at times, Buck's impetuosity might be a little trying.

But John, you have to love his level of enthusiasm!

HAHAHA.

I've been there and can attest to Buck's joyful enthusiasm for fish. The time he was dog-paddling around the boat with his face in the water looking for the fish you'd released was a hilite.

JF