Suggestion For the Mods

JohnF

Terry's Shimano thread reminded me that I meant to mention this earlier. There have been several threads recently that either panned a manufacturer/provider or praised them. Seems to me we'd all appreciate having the benefit of these product and service observations. It also occurs to me that a section here that hilited these items might be useful to the manufacturer distributors in case they care what's being said here, and I suspect some of them do.

Whether or not the thread is a bouquet or a brickbat, and whether or not the manufacturer/distributor reacts to it are informative for all of us planning to lay out our hard-earned dollars for gear.

I was thinking there could be a read only section for these Brickbats & Bouquets or whatever that would be lifted from the regular threads without all the attendant conversation, just the relevant posts that describe the problem or the praise and if necessary the response from the supplier. It would take some objectivity to weed out the threads that are just petty axe grinding and personal agenda stuff. Any thoughts?

JF

i agree... maybe a seperate section could be made for just gear related questions and talk. product reviews can be added to it. inside that section could be sub sections dedicated to each company. we have enough junkies on here we can easily fill up the sections 2with reviews and advice

I wasn't actually thinking of just a venting place for everyone to sound off or praise, rather a spot to showcase specifically selected posts that go beyond venting and offer valuable info for us to share. I was thinking of a read only kinda thing that would simply include the post with the praise or criticism and if a complaint then include the solution or response from the company in question (if any). I've seen a number of posts here that affected my perception of a company or product pro & con.

JF

It's a good thought John but most of the manufacturers/distributors/dealers monitor this board. The ones who don't are usually advised of the goings on by a some of the members here.

A read only forum is dangerous in that anyone can come on here to trash a company and no-one would be able to answer in defense.

Positive posts about companies are read ...not necessarily answered but remembered.

Negative posts are read also and are usually replied to, more than positive posts. Those are the ones that get signaled to the company in question.

If a few negative posts about a company are not answered, well, most members will have decided what that company's priorities are....not customer service.

That's what I suspect anyhow....

It's a good thought John but most of the manufacturers/distributors/dealers monitor this board. The ones who don't are usually advised of the goings on by a some of the members here.

A read only forum is dangerous in that anyone can come on here to trash a company and no-one would be able to answer in defense.

Positive posts about companies are read ...not necessarily answered but remembered.

Negative posts are read also and are usually replied to, more than positive posts. Those are the ones that get signaled to the company in question.

If a few negative posts about a company are not answered, well, most members will have decided what that company's priorities are....not customer service.

That's what I suspect anyhow....

And I suspect yer right. :P

JF

i see both of your points. i was thinking more along the lines of an information source, not a place for people to come bash products or companies. but we see A LOT of questions seeking opinions on rods and reels and having an area with reviews of products and an explanation of rod actions and tapers and their ideal uses would help a lot of people. they can get detailed info on what rod and reel would be ideal for them to get for drop shotting, spinnerbaits, etc.