tribs for steelhead

fish_fishburn

G'day all heres my situation. I live about a four hour drive from the nearest tribs and would really like to try steelhead fishing for the first time. My problem is where to go and when. I have been keeping an eye here for info but it seems pretty scarce. That either means that its to early or all the steelie fishers are having so much fun there not saying anything. If the later is the case I don't blame them. I have been researching this species all winter and am ready to go. Since I am about 100 miles west of Ottawa, it will probably be a 2 day trip for starters, hotel gas etc so I would like to hook up at least once. I am not asking for anyones honey hole, just an op to catch these awesome fish. I am in good shape and a hardcore fisherman so walking lots and pounding the water is all good for me. So if anyone can help me by putting me on a trib thats closer to Ottawa where I might have a chance of catching some steel would be greatly appreciated. You can pm me if thats better and any info will be classified. Loose lips sink ships and my lips are sealed thanks.

The Salmon River in Pulaski NY on the Eastern end of Lake O. would be a good choice. ;)

Check the NY boards for info.

Dave I was just about to post the same thing. :)

For anyone that lives in the Ottawa area the Salmon River in NY state is by far the best water close to you.

salmoncrazy.com is a great source of info.

best place closest to Ottawa in Ontario is Port Hope.

- washroom's, cleaning station, rainbow restaurant, lots of places to fish, huge parking lot

- you can park 5 feet from the creek & fish all day, all the above mentioned places are like walking distance (20seconds to 2 minutes, depending where you fish).

- Tim Horton's / shopping / kfc, restaurants are all close by with the car.

Steelhead is happening right now!!! You can fish south of the train tracks until end of April. Then after you can fish the whole river.

What to use?

- trout or salmon roe, on #8/10 hook & float, 4-6pound 18" leader line (flourocarbon), 8lb main line...

Pretty much any tributary running into Lake Ontario can house a steelhead run, just be very dilligent in reading the regs, right now much of the rivers are off limits. Can't help a pile with S, Ont tribs. Get out and scout around though, to me nothing is as rewarding as travelling to new water and knowing that I muddled together a location and pattern that made the trip successful.

Im making the 14hr drive for steelhead fishing on easter, just have to detour to Hall Beach, self proclaimed Bikini Capital of Canada, (I saw it on an ashtray there).

Steelheaders are the most reluctant to give out information. In reports they'll censor out a shrub because they're afraid of their spot being found out. I don't blame them, but they're paranoid.

We have good reason to be, there are many 'nomad' steelhead fisherman that drive ridiculous distances at the hint that people are landing fish. One thing recognizable on the net will bring the nuts in like blood to sharks.

I've been watching the board and noticed that the day after there was an 'ice out' post on here there were three times the guys on the local trib.

I can't help you out with locations, but I agree with troutologist, nothing as rewarding as finding your own spot after a bit of research.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the salmon river is a great fishery! just don't fish it on sat/sun... during the week the river was quiet and had plenty of pods of fish to chase.