Walleye in the Detroit?

davew3

Good afternoon. A friend and I are considering a day trip to Windsor to try for some early season eyes. Has anyone out there done this and are willing to pass on any tips? Jig weight, style, drifting and such.

I will be launching right be the bridge in downtown Windsor after I stop at Wally's Bait and Tackle.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Regards

Let me know when you are coming down and I will get you an up to date report.....Bobby D is one of the best on the river and is always willing to help out and give great advise as well and I am sure he will chime in on this......we have all been talking about going out in the next couple weeks if we can get the ice out of the river.....usually the guys start at the end of March, I don't usually get out until 2nd week of April.....at that time anywhere around Fighting Island, the Salt Mine, Peache Island get you fish.....heavy jigs if you are not uses to drifting with your electric (you MUST stay vertical or you will not catch fish!!!).....I use FIN-S minnows, Wyandotte worms, GULP!, etc.....haven't used live bait in a few years....I would either launch out of LaSalle or the city Marina, the launch by the bridge isn't as good.....make sure to go into Wally's, they will get you what you need with jigs and baits.....and like I said, let me know when you are coming and I will get you an up to date report.....

Chrispy!

Thanks for the kind words guys. The DR is almost ready to do some early season walleye fishing. I will be at a trade show in Grand Rapids Mich this wknd.

Boat control is the key to catching fish, keep your line vertical for the best results. Jigs from 3/8 -3/4 will be best. Many use chartruese coloured jigs tipped with a plastic trailer, minnow or worm.

The are only a few boats ramps to use, Lakeview Park in Windsor at the N end of the river and Gil Maure Park in Lasalle. During the early season you will be looking for the water to warm up and usually the warmest water produces fish first. Find the boats and keep an eye on them for action, check, jigging action, jig colour and depth they are fishing.

The early season can bring numerous days of N winds which will muddy the water. You can buy a Mi license online for only $8/day. If fishing on the Mich side have some ID. If you have a safe place(dry) for you passport that would be good. It is not necessary but always good to have.

If you have any questions you can give me a call.

http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/welcome.asp

65.JPG

LaSalle boat launch is great. I like the fighting island area. Use a nice heavy jig, it will take a little while to to get the hang of the drift. Once you do your off to the races. If you have a fishing buddy with you, get him up in the front of the boat with you by the bowmount, this will make it easier for you to control the boat and make sure both lines are straight.

Detroit River is awesome in April.

Good luck.

im goin out with bob devine on april 24th! went out with him last fall for muskie, he is a stand up guy and just awesome to spend a day on the water with!

I went out with Bob last April and had a great time. Highly recommend giving him a shout if you're interested in a trip down there!

Also anyone familiar with the Jigman down there? He makes amazing jigs!

Edited by scugog

Thank you for all the replies. I am hoping for the second weekend as well.

Bob and Chrispy, thank you for the offers, I will be in touch for sure. My problem is no electric. But I do have a 6 hp kicker on the back. I may be able to use it to slow down my drift.

I will be stopping at wallys as well.

Lakeview Park in Windsor at the N end of the river and Gil Maure Park in Lasalle. These two I will have to look up.

I was thinking of using the ramp at McKee park.

again thank you.

This is what makes this board work.

Regards