Pond boat

scugpg

A buddy and I are looking for a boat that will be easy to car-top and carry into ponds. I'm thinking about a jon boat, but they really are a bit too heavy to car-top,; more suited for the back of a truck etc IMO.

We're also not keen on a regular canoe; so we're trying to consider options that will be easy to carry and be stable enough for 2 big guys and be able to fish.

What do you guys use when hitting the small rivers and ponds?

Edited by scugog

Hey Scugog, I bought my son a 12 ft jon boat from BPS. It was cheap and very light. I added a 4 hp Yamaha 4 stroke (used) and he has enjoyed it immensely. We have a place in Lagoon City and its an excellent boat for the lagoons. I think the jon boats are on sale now at BPS. Hope this helps.

TM

I have an older scanoe 15 ft. (coleman) This thing is a workhorse can take a beating too. It is rated for a 5hp and I use a 5hp Nissan on it,man does it move. You can use it as a canoe or a small boat, very stable will handle too large men easily,I think it is rated for 750lbs. If you can find one grab it,they don't last and are getting harder to find.I found mine down in Windsor on Kijiji. Look for the older ones that have the aluminum frame on the inside,the newer ones are only rated for a 2 hp and are not nearly the same quality.

Edited by bowslayer

I used to use a personal pontoon boat and loved everything about it... hard to beat if you're going out solo. But if you want something small and light, I'd go with your original idea of a Jon Boat... check out this link below - the 9 footer is only 76lbs and the 12 footer only 86lbs... two guys can easily toss that onto the roof of any car, and you'll be hard pressed to find a car that can't handle at least 86lbs! haha

I have the 15 foot Duck Boat version (bass boat to me haha) and I love it!

I just realized that the 12 footer is only rated for 315lbs... hope you and your buddy aren't very big dudes!

http://www.g3boats.com/JonBoats/#welded

Cheers,

Ryan

Edited by The Urban Fisherman