done for the season

Jer

Well I think we are done on the hard water this winter.

I just walked out from my house on Buckhorn, and where there was 19" of good ice last Thursday, there is now only 13" of very questionable ice. I drilled 6 holes with my hand auger and didn't even break a sweat.

We've had a very safe season here on the Kawarthas by all accounts, contrary to what some had predicted before the season began. I don't want to be one of the few to give the naysayers any ammunition, so that's it for me til ice-out. The beauty is, with the new regs, the ice can go out one day and we can be crappie fishing the next. No more missing the early bite waiting for the end of April.

Overall, I have to proclaim the inaugural Kawartha winter panfishery a huge success, at least for me personally. I fished more this winter than all previous winters combined. We had a blast. Caught lots of fish, bigger perch than we normally see through the summer, a few crappie, quite a few rock bass, a few bruiser sunfish and I'm amazed at how active the bass can be under the ice.

For those that still believe a winter season on the Kawarthas is a bad idea...bend over real close...pucker up...and kiss my :asshat:

That being said, now that the ice is unsafe, I wish it would get the hell out of here so I can drop my boat in.

I was out on 4 mile lake over the weekend. There was 15" of ice on Sat about 80' out from shore and there was no chance of me going out on Sun. The ice turned a dull grey and you could hear it melting and cracking. Even with the floater on, I wasn't going. All season long on 4 mile, me and one other person ice fishing so zone 17 isn't being beaten like they feared it would be.