For you Lowrance HDS owners

Having been a fortunate soul to pick up an HDS unit, I am a little confused.

Do I have to buy the lake maps card to get mapping ? I understand that you can upgrade to the platinum cards for 3D views etc....I am curious though to know what is included and what else I need for this unit.

GPS/chartplotting is already a feature correct ?

Thanks

My HDS 7 has a map in it. it shows marker bouys for the great lakes at least. No depth contours.

I have a paper chart of the area I fish so I may make do with that rather than spending the money on whatever I need for countours.

Lake Erie is included on all the HDS units. the first year manufactured units have their contour lines in a terrible off white color and it can be tricky to see them. You do have to choose the LOWRANCE map in the options.

the newer version of the HDS units has the contour lines in a maroon color that is very easy to see.

There is also the units containing the hard drive labeled Insight. These are US maps, but include the great lakes for about $200 more (not much more than a gold chip), and include incredible detail of the great lakes. i fish erie and ontario and for me this was a no brainier after seeing the content on these units.

if you are going to get a chip, it is important to know where you are going to fish.

Ryan

Lake Erie is included on all the HDS units. the first year manufactured units have their contour lines in a terrible off white color and it can be tricky to see them. You do have to choose the LOWRANCE map in the options.

the newer version of the HDS units has the contour lines in a maroon color that is very easy to see.

There is also the units containing the hard drive labeled Insight. These are US maps, but include the great lakes for about $200 more (not much more than a gold chip), and include incredible detail of the great lakes. i fish erie and ontario and for me this was a no brainier after seeing the content on these units.

if you are going to get a chip, it is important to know where you are going to fish.

Ryan

So you are saying that I can go into my 7 and turn contour lines on?