Islander Float reel help

Kingsalmon

Maybe somebody can help me with my question. I have an islander that is six months old and I changed the bearings to ABEC 7's. The reel spins almost forever if I Don't put the retaining screw in. Once I put the screw in and tighten, it seems that the rubber o ring is rubbing against the bearing and slowing it down considerably. Does anyone know if this is common. I know that this has been evident with my Islander since the first day as I thought it was the bearings, but it obviously was not. Thanks for the help.

Mike

No worries that's a problem inherent with every single Islander and many other float reels as well.

Fortunately it's a very easy fix.

The problem as you mentioned, if you crank down on the screw the reel doesn't spin as well.

If you back off on the screw a bit to get the reel spinning properly you run the risk of having your screw fall out on the river.

Here's what you do: Wrap a tiny chunk of 4lb mono around the screw then screw it in to the point where you want it.

Any small tag ends of mono sticking out can be trimmed. The mono holds the screw in place and is much easier than using something like loctight.

That's some good advice Mike and can be done while on the water if needed.

I have the same issue with my Stanton which I solved by just rubbing down the threads with some sticky bees wax. Tighten down the retaining nut then back off a 1/4 turn or so.

Maybe somebody can help me with my question. I have an islander that is six months old and I changed the bearings to ABEC 7's. The reel spins almost forever if I Don't put the retaining screw in. Once I put the screw in and tighten, it seems that the rubber o ring is rubbing against the bearing and slowing it down considerably. Does anyone know if this is common. I know that this has been evident with my Islander since the first day as I thought it was the bearings, but it obviously was not. Thanks for the help.

Mike

You should be getting those machining jobs done instead of playing around with your toys there big man!!!

Paul

Thanks for the replies guys. As for replacing the bearings, the problem was there before I replaced the bearings so I thought changing the bearings might help. When I changed them, it was the same. And I'm not worried about the warranty as if I really wanted to, I could make my own reel in a few days that would rival any Islander out there. Just never have enough time in this point in my life. If its not busy at work, its busy with the 4 kids.

No worries that's a problem inherent with every single Islander and many other float reels as well.

Fortunately it's a very easy fix.

The problem as you mentioned, if you crank down on the screw the reel doesn't spin as well.

If you back off on the screw a bit to get the reel spinning properly you run the risk of having your screw fall out on the river.

Here's what you do: Wrap a tiny chunk of 4lb mono around the screw then screw it in to the point where you want it.

Any small tag ends of mono sticking out can be trimmed. The mono holds the screw in place and is much easier than using something like loctight.

Thanks Solo. I'll try the line trick tonight. Without the screw in, it spins for a good 90 seconds before stopping. Put the screw in, it stops in 20 seconds.

You should be getting those machining jobs done instead of playing around with your toys there big man!!!

Paul

Machining jobs? I could always use more as nothing is steady. Just super busy for two weeks then wondering if we should close the doors the next two weeks. As always the busy time always hits during the best fishing times, but I'm not complaining. Hopefully we'll get out soon so that I can smoke you with my new bearinged Islander. hahaha

Machining jobs? I could always use more as nothing is steady. Just super busy for two weeks then wondering if we should close the doors the next two weeks. As always the busy time always hits during the best fishing times, but I'm not complaining. Hopefully we'll get out soon so that I can smoke you with my new bearinged Islander. hahaha

Talk's cheap, get to the river and we'll see :P !!! :lol:

Paul

Edited by Ironstone74