Buying a Pin

Gday all. I am going to buy a centerpin reel and have researched them over the winter. I have narrowed it down to three brands, I am not sure about the models yet. I am looking at an Islander Steelheader because it is a decent price and its a workhorse from what I have read. That suits me fine, and its made in Canada. My next reel is a RiverKeeper because I have not been able to find anything bad about them, and the third is a Paine Falls. I have never tried pin fishing but I prefer to buy good quality gear instead of trading up for better gear at a later date. It's not about you should try it first and then buy better gear if you like this type of fishing. I know I will like this fishing, no worries there. If any that other site you pinners have any info on these reels, likes and dislikes, or particular models that I should investigate more, that would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe some other brands that I am missing.

I'm a big fan of buying canadian and I know the Paine Falls is made in the states but I really like the quick spool removal. The John Milner reels are still on my radar as well but I have to narrow it down sooner than later. Thanks in advance and remember hook sets are free, so set the hook.

P.S. I will probably mate my new reel up to a Shimano Convergence for now and build myself a new float rod next year.

Fish.

The only one I can comment on is the Islander as I own one. I do not have a bad word to say about the product. It is durable as you can possibly hope for. It may not be the flashiest pin that you can find but it gets the job done. It a "blue collar" reel if you know what I mean.

I wouldnt trade it for another reel at this point.

I own 1 Riverkeeper and have another on the way, they're an elite reel, absolutely love them.

Super light and 5" diameter which I prefer. (47/8" actually but close enough :) )

The builder Robb Marquette is also a great guy and stands behind his products.

I also have a custom Paines Fall coming which should be ready next week.

Adam will custom build a reel to your personal spec's and the quality is as good as it gets.

You absolutely can't go wrong with either reel!

I'm tentatively heading to Ohio next weekend to meet and fish with Adam.

If Paines Fall is your choice I'd be happy to talk directly to Adam on your behalf to help facilitate the process. :)

P.S. I will probably mate my new reel up to a Shimano Convergence for now and build myself a new float rod next year.

Fish.

You can get a pretty nice Streamside(sliding rings) for not much more than that Convergence, and very big upgrade. Just not sure if you can in Ottawa.

I've got an Islander and it has been great so far. The only problem i had was with the center screw. It fell out one day well I was fishing into the river. I e-mailed Islander and sent me a new screw for free! They have fantastic service. I have no experience with any of the other reels you mentioned, but from what I've read on them, it sounds like you can't go wrong with any of your choices.

if you google Streamside Fishing Products; the guys name is George and he's a wholesaler in Grand Bend that should be able to point you to a dealer in your area, if there is one. good luck