Atlantic tactics

bucktail

Well weather we like it or not it looks like the Atlantic fisherie is here for at least the near future and the open water season is almost apon us so its almost time to start chasing fish.

The problem is that I have only caught 4 atlantics ever in Lake Ontario.

Atlantic #1 Summer 220 feet 15 feet down on a slider, no idea????????

Atlantic #2 Spring 8 feet of water on a cleo

Atlantic #3 Summer 110 feet 60 feet down lots of bait.

Atlantic #4 Last spring 6 feet of water on a Jr thunderstick off of a inline board.

gallery_221_42_34204.jpg

Has anyone out there caught enough of them to see a pattern on where people should start.

Darren

When me and my dad were hardcore into Salmon fishing (minimum 4 days a week for around 7 years straight) we trolled Michigan Stingers (http://www.mistinger.com/spoons1.htm) on downriggers in 30ish feet of water (St. Marys River). We caught ALOT of Atlantics back then in the 10+ pound range.

Not sure of it helps dude... :dunno:

Well weather we like it or not it looks like the Atlantic fisherie is here for at least the near future...

The Atlantic programme is here for the foreseeable future, not fishery. There is no Atlantic fishery in Lake O and there never will be.

Hell if you've got four in the last ten years you're doing better than anybody else, what's your secret?

All the Atlantics I've got in Lake Ontario have come in the spring off the boards, mostly while fishing for browns in the shallows. The Atlantics seem to be alittle more weary then coho or chinnies so I think Brown tactics are the best way to get into these fish in the spring anyway. By the way there's some nice fish starting to show up, I saw 4 over 10lbs caught this fall in Port Dalhousie while fishing Browns. The Ignorant thing about this was the dudes who got them started milking the roe out of them and squeezing the crap out of these beauties telling me they were just a dirty ole salmon. I did step in twice and nearly got in a fist fight when I made the dude release the fish unharmed. I'll tell you those fish were powerfull fighters, lots of jumps and runs I welcome Atlantics in the lake they truely are a sweet sport fish

Here, landlocked Atlantic salmon (ouananiche) are probably a little more abundant. Some of the larger lakes that come to mind are Megantic, Massawipi and Memphremagog. This year the season opens April 24th. Just after ice out dudes troll just sub surface using slender, blue/green crankbaits or colourful streamers such as the Mickey Finn. They don't get very large here with 8lbs being a big one but they are certainly one of the best in show as far as fighting display goes.