fishing destination

Rizzo

Hope to take a 2 day trip next summer and wanted to try some musky waters that I've never fished before. I usually get out around 5 times a summer (Balsam)and 5 times a fall (upper niagara). Looks like its coming down to Salerno/White/Fortescue lakes or Big Cedar/Coon/Julian lakes. Any input would be appreciated as I know nothing of any of these lakes! Not too worried about accomodation, always figure something out.

We've fished Big Cedar a bunch of times, I love that lake. Never landed a musky there, but have raised a few and a couple of followers. Lotsa nice sized smallies and my PB largemouth came from Big Cedar.

Fished Coon Lake once and was not that impressed. Very little structure and kinda boring. I think we only managed a few dink bass in a whole day.

There is a book with simple depth maps and fishing tips for these lakes. It is called "Fishing Ontario:Kawarthas".

Seems to have the best write up Fortescue Lake and mentions Salerno/White. As mentioned Big Cedar looks good but they say Coon Lake is only fair. All lakes are said to be small and not heavily fished with some muskies to be found and lots of smallmouth bass. Good luck with your decision.

thanks ehg - that book is where I got the idea about these lakes. Just trying to get some first hand experience from someone who may know them personally, since sometimes these books are a little off the mark. For instance, pretty sure that book tells you that "the odd pike is now being reported in Canal Lake"