Kag Lake

steveharris

There are a few lakes I would go back to in an instant and right on top of my list is Kag. Fishable in all kinds of weather, loads of islands and structure and tons of Walleyes and other species. I LOVE this lake and envy you and your trip.... If you can't catch fish on Kag take up knitting! Oh did I say I LOVE this lake!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Garyv

I've landed on the lake a few years back to pcik up some fisherman and they had a great time there. I would imagine the fishing would be the same as any other lake inthe area, yellow or white jigs for walleyes and spoons for pike. I've been flying out of Nakina for the last 6 yrs and will be back again this summer.

What time are you going in July and who are you flying in with?

I fished Kag in July a few years back with my wife, stayed at Leuenbergers lodge.

I agree 100%, it's a fantastic walleye lake. Tons of structure and islands....you'll never get bored. Also fished an adjacent back lake where Leuenberger maintains a boat motor, fishing was excellent! If you're into brook trout fishing and don't mind roughing it, spend a day hiking and fishing the Opichuan River where it exits the lake. We had a great time doing that one day catching specks up to 18".

Here's a few pic's to whet your appetite! (sorry about the poor quality!)

A shot of the lodge from the lake

100_0608.jpg

Cabins were A-1, here's a few shots of ours, inside and out

100_0609.jpg

100_0613.jpg

100_0611.jpg

100_0610.jpg

100_0612.jpg

Here's a shot of the lodge where dinner was served

100_0621.jpg

Here's my wife Joanne and I enjoying dinner (free wine :D )

100_0615.jpg

100_0614.jpg

Fishing from shore on the back lake

100_0617.jpg

Some very typical Kag walleye

100_0616.jpg

100_0618.jpg

100_0620.jpg

Small pike (we didn't get any big ones)

100_0619.jpg

We'd go back in heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself, I'm sure you'll have a great trip! B)

cheers, Mike

Thanks to all for the feedback . . I've heard lots of great things. Besides the Walleye, Pike & Brookies, I'd like to spend a bit of time dragging a 3 way rig on light line for lakers. Try & fish for the cycle. . . . . July seems a long way off. I'll be sure & post pix once I'm back.

Forgot to mention the lakers Cisco. If I were you I'd bring at least one, maybe two, small portable downriggers. When I was there I dragged spoons around for hours on a 3-way rig, as well as trolling with steel line, and vertical jigging and caught no trout.

It wasn't until the camp manager Terry took pity on us and took us out in his boat which had riggers that we caught a few.

Apparantly the trout are suspended there in the summer. Just a heads up.