Simcoe Whities

Aaron Shirley

Tony and I attended the fishing for Tyler event on Saturday at Innisfil Beach Park and met some friends of mine up there, Glen & Melanie and their friend Dean.

It was a fun day out and there were lots of fish caught. The event was a success with a record turnout of about 170 people. Lots of prizes were handed out and money raised for a great cause. If you didn't know this: Tyler is autistic and needs a lot of therapy. This is the 6th year for the event and has helped Tyler and his family a great deal.

I would recommend this event to anyone, as it is only a $10. entry fee with lots of prizes.

The fihsing was pretty slow for the most part. Tony had the hot hand with a W7 Jigging Rapala in the old firetiger colour. We couldn't get a bite on the new firetiger colour! Man, I wish I had a bunch of those in the old firetiger, as I never got a fish on a jigging Rapala, despite my efforts.

We fished until the end of the event at 1pm, then after the event, we headed back out for a couple more hours of fun. During the event, Tony got a few whities and Dean got one on a minnow, the rest of us three got nothing.

After we went back out, it was game on, and Tony lost an absolute giant, then Dean lost a giant. Neither got to see the fish. We figure the giants were chasing herring, as I got a herring just before Tony lost his tank.

Dean lost another and I finally got one on a Williams Ice jig. Glen and Mel got the skunkaroo. It was a tough day in general (except for Tony), and the fish were not chasing much on sonar. A bit of a look then gone. Marked a lot of fish and moved around a lot with the same result. We didn't have a gps with the charts on it, so we guessed where the fish were and stopped with a 'feeling' on the first spot, which turned out to be the best spot for us. We were in the middle on a spot all to ourselves. Our productive depths were between 90- to 100-feet deep.

All similar sized whitefish around 20", with two lost tanks we will never know what they were. Could have been big lakers or whities?

Tony with his first of many on his hot Jigging Rap.

Simcoe_02-20-2010_01.jpg

Dean with a nice fish, his first whitefish through the ice

Simcoe_02-20-2010_02.jpg

I finally get a whitie

Simcoe_02-20-2010_03.jpg

Then it's the Tony show again.

Simcoe_02-20-2010_04.jpg

Simcoe_02-20-2010_05.jpg

Tony ended up 5 for 6, I got one whitie and a herring, Dean went 1 for 3. Slow, but we worked hard and got some bites.

Good to see you again Glen and Mel, and nice meeting you Dean.

Nice going on a stellar day Tony! I need to find W7's in that old firetiger colour!!!

Good fishing!

Aaron