Camera bags

bigfish1965

These camera bags are ridiculous in price. There is not much to them...foam and a shell, really.

Anyone tried making their own? I need to get/make one that will carry a few bodies, slew of batteries and a charger and some flashes. I was think of using either a tackle box or tool box as a starting point.

Ideas?

I used an insulated soft sided lunch bag. The best part about it... when it is in the truck, people think it is just a lunch bag and less reason to break in to the truck. Foam dividers are easily made to make a snug fit for your lenses and such as well.

Cheers, Ron...

If you're already spending the money on the cameras and lenses themselves, why not invest in a decent bag to protect them? I've got 3 different camera bags I use. One is a sling bag that I use for concerts and I can get 2 bodies and 2 lenses in it. One is a small backpack that I can get 1 body and a couple lenses in it. And my main bag is a bigger backpack that holds 2 bodies, 4 lenses, flash, filters, chargers, and it also has clips for my tripod....pretty well everything I need for whatever kind of photo I find myself taking. I'm sure if you were really set on rigging some sort of homemade camera bag you could do it....But camera bags are designed to hold and protect camera equipment....I could go on and list examples of the many ways homemade camera bags could potentially fail but I'll leave that to your imagination.

To sum it up, invest in something to protect your investment.

My camera bag is made by DEWALT. Yes, it's a tool bag but it serves nicely as a camera bag. It has lots of compartments for filters, batteries and such. It doesn't have much padding but it's big enough so that I can wrap my delicate stuff in soft cloths if need be. I have a couple of smaller actual camera bags too for when I want to bring a minimal amount of equipment. Improvising works. You just have to be wise about it.