Lookout Point Camp, Gowganda Lake

Remo B

Greetings,

I’m a long time lurker – read the site regularly – great board with great stories/info.

I’m looking for some feedback on the above-noted camp. If anyone has stayed at the camp or on the lake, I’m asking for your experience, I’m part of a group of six heading up for a four day weekend towards the end of May for some walleye/pike fishing. This is our annual trip. We’ve stayed on the French the last few years. The French is great but the fishing has been slow for us (even with guides), so we thought we’d try something new. Any and all comments are welcome.

FYI: I used the query on this site to find a fishing lodge. Put in my details and I rec’d about 50-60 e-mails form lodges. What a wonderful search tool! Kudos to the board.

Cheers and thanks in advance for your reply.

PS: four of us hit Quinte on Sunday - fishing was slow. We decided to pamper ourselves and rented a hut. I brought the power auger and we also scouted the area looking for them. At the end of the day, we landed 3 walleye and a ton of perch, but only a handful of jumbos. Marked a ton on the Vex but not many would commit. Nonetheless, a great day on the hardwater. Blue/silver little cleo was it for the day.

FYI: I used the query on this site to find a fishing lodge. Put in my details and I rec'd about 50-60 e-mails form lodges. What a wonderful search tool! Kudos to the board.

Thanks, they are a client of mine so im likely biased.. hopefully someone here has stayed there!!

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

I'm a long time lurker – read the site regularly – great board with great stories/info.

I'm looking for some feedback on the above-noted camp. If anyone has stayed at the camp or on the lake, I'm asking for your experience, I'm part of a group of six heading up for a four day weekend towards the end of May for some walleye/pike fishing. This is our annual trip. We've stayed on the French the last few years. The French is great but the fishing has been slow for us (even with guides), so we thought we'd try something new. Any and all comments are welcome.

FYI: I used the query on this site to find a fishing lodge. Put in my details and I rec'd about 50-60 e-mails form lodges. What a wonderful search tool! Kudos to the board.

Cheers and thanks in advance for your reply.

PS: four of us hit Quinte on Sunday - fishing was slow. We decided to pamper ourselves and rented a hut. I brought the power auger and we also scouted the area looking for them. At the end of the day, we landed 3 walleye and a ton of perch, but only a handful of jumbos. Marked a ton on the Vex but not many would commit. Nonetheless, a great day on the hardwater. Blue/silver little cleo was it for the day.

We went to Lookout Point last July. This has to be the cleanest Lodge we've ever stayed at. The weather was terrible all week, but we still caught lots of fish, especially bass. The walleyes were missing in action for us, but the guys in the next cabin consistently brought in 4-5 every day. They have been fishing this lake for many years. There are many other lakes in the area to fish and they have boats already there. Last year we fished Obushkon Lake which is just a short drive from the main lodge. Everyone we talked to raved about Hanginstone Lake and the great bass fishing. We're going to try this lake this summer, when we go back. The owners are great and go out of their way to make your stay comfortable and give you excellent advice to make sure you catch fish.

i used to work with the owner larry when he was in toronto he is a class guy and his wife is just the same tell him you know malcolm form OFC board and torotno and he will take great care of your group

malcolm

I've been up there many, many times in the last 3-4 years. I have never stayed with Lookout Point Camp but stay exclusively with Auld Reekie right next door.

The fishing on the main lake can be tough at times as the fish are well fed and it is a fairly long lake with tons of areas to cover but they can be had in May. Try the river that runs into the main lake from Stumpy (ask the owners and they'll point you in the right direction). Fish the shorelines at the mouth and then if you carefully make your way up to the falls the fishing in that area has produced some decent fish for us as well.

Hangingstone is a fabulous bass lake. You can't beat the fish off with a stick up there. Try working the points and shorelines casting #4/#5 blue fox spinners or Big O type crankbaits.

Obushkong lake is my favorite. Bass, pike and walleye. Your best bet in May would be to head straight north to the top of the lake and fish the emerging weed beds at that end with spinners/spinner baits and we always have fantastic luck with the pike on frog baits. If you feel adventurous, the Montreal River runs into Obushkong at the top and it has some great fishing in it as well. Longer boat ride but we have boated and lost some real decent pike, walleye and bass up there.

Stumpy Lake is an excellent walleye lake. You must endure an extremely rough ride (decent 4X4 needed with no running boards unless you want to lose them) 4km up a rocky rutted trail. At a comfortable speed it will take you 45 min to cover the 4 km. Trolling Big O type baits is our best producing method in this lake.

PM me if you'd like any more information. The lodge next door also operates as a restaurant with excellent food if you don't feel like cooking one night. If you do a search on here of "Gowganda" you may come across a post or two that I've made in the past.

Here's one of the pike to come out of the main lake.

th_WhatIcamefor.jpg

PB

Edited by paulyboy83