Honeymoon Trip

hunterjoe84

Hello fellow board members,

I am fairly new to the board and have made a few posts but this will be the first topic I have ever started. I am sure you guys and gals out there will assist me in a decision. I am getting married on June 26 this year and my fiance wants to go on a fishing trip for four days for our pre honeymoon trip. We are going to go down south but figured we might as well wait for winter to do that. I live in Peterborough and I am willing to drive 6 hours max. I am unsure of where I want to go, but the species I would like to catch are walleye, pike and trout of any kind. Thanks in advance for your input

Joe

I haven't stayed many places to be honest. When i go away to fish, I camp or stay at someones cottage. Are you looking fro something quiet or do you midn it being a busy cottage lake? I mean you don't have to go very far from peterbprough being in the heart of the kawarthas. I am always giving the French River huge props on here, I love it there, its like being much farther north for some reason. I east corridor of Algonquin, from Bancroft up to Barry's Bay west to Haliburton and east to pembroke. Nice area and less busy the mukoka hunstville side. The only place I have experience with on the French is bears Den lodge, nice owners.

I also hear ristoule is very nice.

Come on people, someone else has to have some suggestions for this person!

If it were me, i would roll it all into 1 trip with the honeymoon and go a holiday spot that has great fishing like australia, hawaii, alaska, south america, somewhere in the gulf.

with a fiance who likes fishing i'm sure a few members are also wondering if she has any sisters

When my wife and I got married we spent 5 nights at a fly in outpost camp in the Wawa area, was back home for 2 days then spent a week down in Cuba. Great times. My better half still talks about that particular fly in as her favourite trip.

Is catching numbers of fish important to you, or do the accomodations take precedence? Generally speaking the further north you go the better fishing you'll find.

What type of experience are you looking for and what type of fish do you want to catch?

Catching numbers of fish definitly takes presidence. However if the quality (size) of fish is good, I don't mind catching fewer fish. I have considered the French for sure. What species are in the river? I have fished quite a bit of the Kawarthas, and I would like a change. I dont mind a busier lake as long as the accomidations and fishing is still good.

Thanks everyone for your input

And yes she does have a sister who does love to fish

Looking at a max of 6 hrs from Peterborough I would look at 2 lakes. Either Temagami or Kipawa in Quebec.

Both are enormous beautiful bodies of water with good fishing and a ton of high quality lodges.

There's way too many to list, but I can recommend a couple if you're interested.

If it was me I'd lean towards Kipawa as I think the fishing is a bit better.

Restoule is awesome but its not great for pike or trout (deep at that time of year). Lots of walleye, but if you have 6 hrs there are better places.

For a cool *honeymoon* i'd get a tent, a canoe, and find some back lake somewhere....or do a mini route wtih a few days camping to enjoy yourselves without having to work. You might check out these routes....http://www.myccr.com......or try booth lake via crotch in algonquin. Its one of the most beautiful lakes in Algonquin and one of the few places there where you'll find norhtern pike. Its actually a bit of a disaster, ecologically speaking. Someone dumped pike ina lake just outside the park (in madawaska) and htey've been migrating through the system there having their fill of lake trout. Beautiful area though.

I also second the temagami suggestion. Not sure about the fishign there....but the scenery is truly beautiful.

Edited by cram

I always thought this place looked really nice:

http://www.limberlostlodges.com/index.html

I have never been there though and know nothing about it except what's on the website.

You could check out the resorts on Lady Evelyn Lake as well:

http://www.ellenislandcamp.com/

This resort is on the river before the lake - http://www.white-pine-lodge.ca/home.php

The French River Provincial park is also incredibly beautiful. As you travel down the river you can immediately tell when you enter the park. I stayed at Wolesley Lodge last October for a weekend. Decent place. We caught primarily hammer handle pike, but there are plenty of other species present. There are a bunch of other lodges on the river system. Check out the trip planner on noto.ca

Ever thought about renting a houseboat? Might be kinda neat....something I'd like to try myself.

Could also consider just doing a charter on Bay of Quinte.

Wish I could offer more, but I am still exploring around myself.

Edited by adempsey

lak temagami is the place to go www.wishinyouwerefishin.com

conatact rick and pauline lockart

705-569-4603

they have deluxe cottages as well as hot tub on each deck of cabin secluded dock for each cabin , amazing clean cabins with all the things you need he also rents boats and does charters