Feb 13,2010 - A good day- BOQ - Modified

superdad

The day before Valentines Day sounds like a good day to go fishing and then spend the Sunday at HOME!!!!!!!

Headed for Long Reach, stopping at Dew Drop for bait and a few words about their Derby, they had a good attendance and people were catching fish the day before. This was a good sign shoring up my confidence. Met QuintePrince and his Dad on the ice, along with FatMan from Perfect Vue. WalleyeDreamer was back on the ice after his Friday fishing with his Grandson, we had a good chat about fishing with Grandsons and both agreed there isn't much better enjoyment for an old guy.

Drilled the hole and started at 0730, was watching the parade on the ice and felt the rod tip - set the hook and "Fish ON!!", I reeled the fish too fast and before QP could lend a hand, the hook pulled out as the fish was coming out of the hole and it flopped back down - c'est dommage.... That's fishing, a error on my part, but it was just a lost fish. This was at 0745, boy are they biting today, won't have a problem getting another or two!!!!

The fishing expertise runs in QuintePrince's family, His father was out fishing as entrants in the Dew Drop Derby. Soon the cry arose from his shelter- "I've got one!!" He had it on the ice and I took a look and underestimated the weight by a pound and a half, the fish was close to 7 lbs. We continued fishing and again "I'ver got One" and out pops a nice 4.5lber from his hole. What a fishing family!!!!

BayBoy joined us on the ice and we moved into a little deeper water. BayBoy brought his graph and let me use to see what I could see and if it made a difference. I could see fish moving and was able to identify some fish moving higher oin the water column, raising my lure and a couple jig movements - Fish ON!!!!! BayBoy came to lend a hans but the fish spit the lure before we had a chance to see it - DRAT!!!! Oh Boy, now I'm love for Two...Not a good average.

Shortly after I lost that one, QuintePrince lands a nice one and I was able to take a photo before it went back down the hole.

0213_QuintePrinceand11lber.jpg

This is what 11 lbs looks like................

Fishing continued and we saw people running to help their buddies out as fish were being hooked and landed, we figure we saw at least a half dozen landed. Everyone was enjoying their day on the ice, some more than others (BayBoy!!!!)

As we neared the early afternoon,we thought the fish would be less active, but fish continued to show on the graph and finally, the rod tip jiggled and I set the hook, BayBoy grabbed the fish in the hole and flipped it onto the ice. He was a headed for the table. My Grandsons are coming for March break and THEY love a fishfry. BayBoy snapped the shot.

0213_Superdad-525lbs.jpg

People filtered back to the ice after lunch and many more were coming out for the late afternoon and evening fish and I packed up and headed for shore at 1630. It was a good day, saw fish caught , landed one and had a good time talking to Mr WalleyeDreamer - It was nice to talk about retirement.....

As a baseball player, going 1 for 3 is good - that's .333, as a fisher, I would have preferred batting a thousand, but then it's not fishing but catching - no fun in that.

Hope to be out a couple more times, the last day is assured (March 1st).

My magic lure was the Rapala Jigging lure, 1/2 oz with the end hooks cut off and a Mustad Triple Grip hook on the bottom with several nuds.

Stay Tuned.

David aka Superdad

Edited by superdad