Destination Lake Advice

adempsey

Trying to gather info on a few different lake destinations I have selected for a week long fishing trip in Ontario or Quebec.

Primarily walleye fishing. Looking for quantity with a decent chance of netting some over 24". Other species (trout, whitefish, perch, pike) would be a big bonus.

American Plan, <$1500 per person.

Rental boat.

Drive-to lodge within ~12 hour drive from Toronto.

Places I am investigating:

Ontario:

Ivanhoe Lake

Lake Nagagami

O'Sullivan Lake

Lady Evelyn Lake (been here the past 2 years)

Quebec:

Trout Lake

Gouin Reservoir

Cabonga Reservoir

Berthelot Lake

Poutrincourt Lake

Lake Kipawa

It's always a tough decision because you want your precious 1 week per year to be as good as possible.

ANY information would be most helpful.

Thanks.

$1500 per person will easily allow you the luxury of a fly in destination. Most of the choices (but not all) you listed are drive-to.

Yes it's possible to have a truly great experience at a drive-to lodge, but by and large the fly in experience wins hands down.

Nagagami is a very good lake. these guys are probably the best outfitter on the lake and the best value. They are however a housekeeping camp: http://www.expeditions-north.com/02-lodge.htm

Other great lodges in your price range with american plan that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend

are:

http://www.esnagami.com/tour.asp

http://www.leuenberger.ca/kag.htm (I've stayed here twice, it's great)

http://www.metalakelodgefishing.com/Welcome.html (didn't stay at Meta lodge but have fished the system and it's as good as it gets)

I've been to ivanhoe, a few years back,we went first of june and walleye were still in river way up,,hit snow storms and everything there,, did good there about 1-2 pds ers ,the odd big one but not many.I think we stayed at red cedar ,nice place ,and they have outposts up the river which would be nice. we are headed to gowganda lake this year and staying at lookoutpoint camp,17 of us this year.. Larry and Vicki are really going out of there way to make our stay the best one and we havent even gotten there yet..

Looks like a great place, but not sure I can afford it. Sure it's only a $300 more, but $1500 is already pushing it for me =)

We might actually opt for a HK fly-in lodge instead. Expeditions-North is at the top of my list now. I am pretty bad at packing as I tend to bring every thing I own, lol. Not sure I am capable of bringing food and fishing gear on a fly-in within the weight limits!!

The Ara and Meta lakes area also looks promising.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Cheers.

Looks like a great place, but not sure I can afford it. Sure it's only a $300 more, but $1500 is already pushing it for me =)

We might actually opt for a HK fly-in lodge instead. Expeditions-North is at the top of my list now. I am pretty bad at packing as I tend to bring every thing I own, lol. Not sure I am capable of bringing food and fishing gear on a fly-in within the weight limits!!

The Ara and Meta lakes area also looks promising.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Cheers.

Personally I prefer the outpost camp trips where you fend for yourself and are completely alone.

If that's something you and your group would consider I can recommend a bunch.

The price is a bit lower as well.

Any thoughts on Kabinakagami Lake? I assume it's similar to Nagagami.

We have now pretty much decided on a housekeeping cottage for this trip. I think this opens up far more opportunities to great fisheries.

LLPP - I considered Gowganda last year but we opted to go back to Lady Evelyn. Gowganda looked really appealing especially if you like to fish multiple lakes.

Carll2 - I have read a lot of great things about Gouin. It looks like an amazing place. Huge remote lake but still accessible by "road". One of my concerns is the logging road since I don't own a truck. I am going to check out flying in though.

Solopaddler - Every year I consider the remote outpost option. I love the solitude and remoteness when I travel. I think I will discuss this with my father and see how he feels about it this year.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Cheers.

Any thoughts on Kabinakagami Lake? I assume it's similar to Nagagami.

We have now pretty much decided on a housekeeping cottage for this trip. I think this opens up far more opportunities to great fisheries.

LLPP - I considered Gowganda last year but we opted to go back to Lady Evelyn. Gowganda looked really appealing especially if you like to fish multiple lakes.

Carll2 - I have read a lot of great things about Gouin. It looks like an amazing place. Huge remote lake but still accessible by "road". One of my concerns is the logging road since I don't own a truck. I am going to check out flying in though.

Solopaddler - Every year I consider the remote outpost option. I love the solitude and remoteness when I travel. I think I will discuss this with my father and see how he feels about it this year.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Cheers.

we have plenty of clients that come in by car every year...my bosses wife comes and goes with her pontiac vibe with no problems..only thing you cant forget is to be reasonable on how much weight you are putting in your car.

if you want info on the lodge i work at pm me and il send you the site , here are the names of 2 excellent air transportation companies we use

-air tamarac

-air mont laurier

I've been going to The Blue Heron Resort http://www.blueheronresort.on.ca/ for the past couple years...The owner is of the best character I have ever found...last year he actually took us out in our boat when we weren't on the fish (in the pouring rain I might add) and refused to come in till we had our limit!!! They have beautiful cottages and great boats for rent...You should definetly give them a look...there about 6 hours north of Toronto in a place called Spanish....If you drop them a line be sure to tell them Gord says Hi and put you onto them might cut me a break this summers trip....HA....honestly the nicest people you ever wanna mee,t they definetly always treat you right. Owners name is Cal superb gentlemen!!

LoTW....yes, one of the destinations on my bucket list. I am slowly increasing the distance I travel over the years and will eventually get there and all the other amazing places in Western Ontario...and hopefully MB.

The Spanish river looks great too. I will check that place out Tightline, thanks!

It's funny, after weeks of research and gathering feedback from many experienced anglers I discovered that the majority of lakes and lodges were listed on this one site, lol:

http://www.ontariofisherman.com/top-5-lodges.htm

Go figure!

Thanks again for all the feedback folks!

Bill Rivers knows his stuff that's for sure.

I had a quick look at his list and he has Miminiska on it.

That's another really great one. I stopped at Miminiska lodge when I was paddling the Albany.

Was hoping to restock my supplies (it was a 3 month trip) and they helped me with a bunch of stuff.

I remember thinking the next fly in would be to this lodge as it was very impressive.

Fantastic piece of water as well, just incredible fishing for all species including brook trout.

I caught several monsters in the rapids and falls upstream from Miminiska lake.

I've been going to The Blue Heron Resort http://www.blueheronresort.on.ca/ for the past couple years...The owner is of the best character I have ever found...last year he actually took us out in our boat when we weren't on the fish (in the pouring rain I might add) and refused to come in till we had our limit!!! They have beautiful cottages and great boats for rent...You should definetly give them a look...there about 6 hours north of Toronto in a place called Spanish....If you drop them a line be sure to tell them Gord says Hi and put you onto them might cut me a break this summers trip....HA....honestly the nicest people you ever wanna mee,t they definetly always treat you right. Owners name is Cal superb gentlemen!!

I'll second this recommendation! I live only 25 mins from this lodge and fish the waters often in the spring. Rates are great, fishing is good and you really never know what you're going to catch. Five years ago we caught a Sturgeon right in front of their docks!!! I often spot their boats running about and their equipment looks great! You may also want to look up Brennan Harbour Resort and Vance's Resort....they're all within five miles of one another and I've heard great things about both and I actually always launch from Vances. Good luck with your search! The fishery is as healthy as its been and with the North Channel of Lake Huron right there (pretty well sheltered) your potential target species is large!