nf Manual for 1954 johnson seahorse 5 1/2 hp

vinnimon

Might be of use to you. http://forums.iboats.com/Johnson-Outboards/1954

I'll keep looking, pretty sure fleabay might have a pdf.

Found a tune up guide http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/...20Procedure.htm

Found the owners manual 1954 Johnson 5.5 hp with minor specs on pg 5 http://rides.webshots.com/album/561495154SpbbDk

Edited by Syn

I can't tell where you live but Toronto metro reference library might have a general Johnson manual for the 50's. I remember looking through books from the 20's.

Their online search is down right now but heres the link anyhow. http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/ask_index.jsp

FWIW you could buy the manual but i saw it listed for $70 lol.

Edited by Syn

I have a Seloc manual but it only goes back to 1956. Still it might have some useful info. If you have a question PM me & I'll try to look it up.

As for NAPA I have a Marine catalog from a couple of years ago & can look up some #'s for you. One note is that most stores will not stock the parts but can get them in for you. If in the Canadian warehouse 1-3 days. If it has to come from the US warehouse expect 2-3 weeks.

I have a Seloc manual but it only goes back to 1956. Still it might have some useful info. If you have a question PM me & I'll try to look it up.

As for NAPA I have a Marine catalog from a couple of years ago & can look up some #'s for you. One note is that most stores will not stock the parts but can get them in for you. If in the Canadian warehouse 1-3 days. If it has to come from the US warehouse expect 2-3 weeks.

Thank you sir, I will definetly keep that in mind.Barton auto also stocks marine parts as well as hamilton auto.I recently picked up a starter for my 140 mercruiser for $85 at barton auto same day pick up.Not Bad eh!esp after being qouted 250 plus for the same starter(both were new bosch units)

Manuals sent, Vin.

One of the reasons I love the 1950's Johnson/Evinrudes so much is that the parts are relatively cheap and still available from the dealer. The 1954 5.5 hp is the first of its series and stayed in production with some modification until 1964. In 1965 it gained .5 hp to become the much loved 6hp. It ended its run in 1979.

The original mix is 16:1. It has all friction bearings. It can be safetly run at 24:1 with todays outboard oil, but no leaner. I prefer to use a synthetic oil like Amsoil. Point gap is .020" and plug gap is .030". Use modern Champion J6C spark plugs.

Since I used to own your little 5.5 hp I know the coils are shot. You can get aftermarket Sierra coils (part number 18-5181) from most NAPA and some small engine shops. They are the same as the old Lawn Boy coils. Price is about $27. Or buy them from the dealer for about $36.

That's a sweat little motor. I have one just like it with a 3 blade brass prop. It runs on average 16.5 kmh or 10 mph on my 12' tin boat. I've had it up to 19.2 kmh or 12 mph.

Manuals sent, Vin.

One of the reasons I love the 1950's Johnson/Evinrudes so much is that the parts are relatively cheap and still available from the dealer. The 1954 5.5 hp is the first of its series and stayed in production with some modification until 1964. In 1965 it gained .5 hp to become the much loved 6hp. It ended its run in 1979.

The original mix is 16:1. It has all friction bearings. It can be safetly run at 24:1 with todays outboard oil, but no leaner. I prefer to use a synthetic oil like Amsoil. Point gap is .020" and plug gap is .030". Use modern Champion J6C spark plugs.

Since I used to own your little 5.5 hp I know the coils are shot. You can get aftermarket Sierra coils (part number 18-5181) from most NAPA and some small engine shops. They are the same as the old Lawn Boy coils. Price is about $27. Or buy them from the dealer for about $36.

That's a sweat little motor. I have one just like it with a 3 blade brass prop. It runs on average 16.5 kmh or 10 mph on my 12' tin boat. I've had it up to 19.2 kmh or 12 mph.

Thanks bud i will check it out.I kinda miss my 1947 3h johnson and 1948 3h eatons viking.Both were shot but I sold them at a decent profit.The wife 3 weeks ago just noticed the one I picked up from you.Then I told her I sold the other 2 to get that one.He He :whistling: