SNOWMOBILE HELP!!! Idler wheels Fell off my sled!

John Kimble

Hi fellow OFC'ers! So the middle Idler wheels fell off my 1990 Yamaha Ovation on the last trip.

1) Can I run the snowmobile without them? Is it absolutely neccessary to fix?

2) What can I do to fix it? I'm assuming I need to weld it back together.

3) What will it cost? Hopefully not an arm or leg.

4) Does anyone know or can recommend a welder near Richmondhill or in the GTA? I'll offer a case of beer of their choice and take 'em ice fishing!!!

THANKS!! ! Any help is much appreciated!

IMGP0772.JPG

IMGP0779.JPG

IMGP0777.JPG

IMGP0775.JPG

It can be welded.

I had a 99 yamaha and the rails cracked at the curve up front. (I blame abuse...moguls at 70mph will do that)

I got them welded and had no further problems.

You can run it without the wheels, just make sure you are in snow and not running the hyfax dry.

i wish my current problems were so easy.

I need primary clutch sheaves a slew of little parts to go with them and a drive chain...total bill will be $1100.00, and I won't have it for the long weekend :angry:

Edited by Dara

Yea like Musky said run it if your not planning on going too far it's only going to cause a bit more wear in that area on your sliders in that area.

There was a thread on one of the sled sites a couple years ago about how a guy fixed a problem like that it was a neat idea, will see if I can find it for you. A used rail is your best bet. Could try Sno Line Sports in London.

That beat up idler chattering probably fatigued it. $18 at CTC. You could easily fabricate a new "tab" for the shaft... and bolt it to the beam.

Yeah...right now would be a good time to check all the bearings and replace as necesary.

I blew 3 last week on the rear idlers. One wheel flew off and the other was flopping around on the shaft.

I checked all bet them this fall because i was too lazy to loosen the track. Ended up having to drive a 150 mile round trip to go recover my sled...after a 50 mile ride on the back of a crazy persons sled.

1) I wouldn't recommend running it without them, but you can do it without too much damage (if any at all) yes.

2) pick up a new suspension or weld it.

3) it shouldn't cost that much to get it welded. im guessing it shouldnt be over $100 for such a small job.

4) if i lived down there i could fix it for you, (im pretty good at tig welding!) lol. but i dont know anyone nor can i recommend anybody in that area....

i just thought too. you may have issues with your sled heating up cause of the extra drag you'll have from the sliders. if you stick to more powdery trails you should be fine. other than all that you should be ready to go!