Ice Fishing Tips

young_one

I usually fish the afternoon dusk period at Scugog, been out two times and so far cant get the skunk off.

Trying to get any fish to bite, I've done the following without success: :wallbash:

- downsize, minnow and lure (small shiners and Size2 Jigging Rap, and Smallest Buckshot I can find)

- I have found a nice weed edge, around 4-5 FOW

- marked fish on sonar, no takers

Please help me! What should I try? :dunno:

* Should I be fishing on top off the weed or the soft bottom next to it?

* How should I present my offering? Bang the bottom, slow rise?

* Perhaps I should fish deeper? Shallow?

********************************************************************************

Planning to go fishing at least twice next week, if anyone is interested, I'd be glad to learn a few things, or show you the basic knowledge that I know. I have a 2 men portable and gas auger. :Gonefishing:

PM or Email [email protected]

Thanks

- Will

first off are you fishing for walleye or basicly anything ? as well where approx are you located .. W.S , G-skis? , Ces , V-Lake, wash-island etc..

as well I have heard most people are catching fish in your FOW or shallower so your good there.. the next thing would be what colour of weeds are they ? brown or green.. brow = dead = less oxygen .. Green = live and more oxygen = more fish

as for lures small spoons .. tipped with a small dace or shiner .. or small jig head or bare hook tipped with minnow..

thats what most of my friends have been using.. myself I have been out on scugog a dozen times..friends have been catching walleye.. but none for myself.. though plenty of other fish .. perch .. panfish etc..

as for positioning.. it changes.. some times i tap bottom .. some times im 6 inches under the ice.. and others inbetween.. you just got to find out where the fish are .. and once you do.. fish at the depth

hope any of that helped. and good luck !

Edited by fish-miester

What side of the lake are you fishing?? Location is key. My usual spots aren't producing fish at all, but the new spots I've been checking are loaded. I'm fishing close to deep water, with good green weeds. Most fish are coming out of 6-8fow, but there is 12fow close by. Once you find them, you'll catch them on anything really.......tubes, Fin-s minnows, grubs......minnows. Keep moving until you find fish, that's all I can tell you. We've been having a great time with the crappies, but the eyes are here and there.

S.

Sinker, which side are you fishing?

I have yet to land an eye... and the slabs seem to be getting fewer and smaller.

Will,

I would go deeper. Look for 7-8 FOW. Preferably with weeds (Green = good, Brown = bad)

Bite really picks up at about 5-6PM. Try to fish between 4 and 8PM and you should have more luck.