braid questions

beertech

I don't like to go smaller than 15lb. with braid on my spinning reels, starts to give me the mother of all paper cuts on my trigger finger. I'm a fan of Tuf Line, one of the thinnest braids out there so lures run deeper/line straighter and you can really load up the capacity on reels. And it's cheap.

Line/leader connection I always go for the Albright's Knot, quick & easy to tie and it won't bind on itself or leader. Trim the tags close then put on a dollop of Super Glue, flows the guides easy and won't pick up weed.

I made a mistake in my previous posting. It wasn't Mason Tiger braid that comes in 3 different models but Tuf Line. There is Tuf Line Plus, Tuf Line XT et Tuf Line. The third one is the more difficult to find. It's the only one that does not have any added coating to make it stiffer and/or shed water faster. I also like Tuf Line for baitcasters. Yes....it is tough too.

This year, I will be trying the newest version of the line called "Easy Cast". It's very smooth and hard...almost feels like mono. I guess that the 6 to 10 lb test would be just about right for a spinning reel.

If you are only getting 70% breaking strength at your knots, you need a different knot :)

Yes....you can say that but which knot? Are you talking about knots for mono or fluorocarbon or braided lines?

There have been a series of articles concerning independant tests concerning fishing lines. These tests compare stretch, abrasion resistance, overall strength and then knot strength for each type of line. You can find these tests on the internet. Sadly, some have been modified (shortened) and a lot of info has been lost over time. I had the chance to read them and I do not follow all the hype that some lines have gotten.

Here is one about knot strength for braided lines. Only one knot gave 100% strength. This was the Palomar Knot (but passed 2 times through) which is not common. After that, the highest knot strength was about 80%. Some were as low as 35%

First of all, we all know now that braided lines are way underated by manufacturers. Example, 20 lb Fireline Braid breaks at about 58 lbs. Original Fireline, which was the strongest 20 lb line broke at approx 48 lbs. This means that if a person uses a uni knot or a clinch knot which will break at about 60% or 70% of the line's breaking rate, the line will still be over 20 lb test.

Anyway....go to this site : http://www.sportfishingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=43557

Good stuff, Dabluz, I remember that comparison too. One more reason to love that Palomar knot, especially for braids. As you tie it, try to keep the loops lined up and flowing so that they don't bind as you wet and tighten.

Eight and ten pound braid is so fine I honestly question the value of up sizing to an 8 pound Fluoro leader. I used green or red 10#PP for many years in the North Kawarthas where the were the water is super clear, with no leader. I used it to Wacky worm so it's not like the Bass weren't getting a good look at the line.

Honeywell Spectra and the Dutch equivalent Dyneema, are the fibers used for braided line. It will not hold dye. That is why all braids, to this point, are either painted or waxed to produce coloured lines.

Eazy:

Berkley makes two Firelines. The original is fused, the new one is an eight strand braid.

Both are still on the market.