Fluorocarbon - Ice fishing

Jds63

I didn't want to hijack the other post about flurocarbon that was not related to ice fishing. So thought I would post this question here.

I usually carry 3 rods for ice fishing , 1 with 5 lb power pro and fluoro leader, 1 straight 6lb mono and 1 with a blue colored ice line (came with the reel).

When targeting lakers or whitefish do you always use a fluoro leader ?

If so I have read that Berkley vanish is not recommended ... I actually bought some a while back and now wondering if i should replace it with Seaguar, I havn't lost any fish due to the Vanish so just wondering what the issues are with it.

I think for leader material it's fine. I use fluorocarbon leaders a lot in the winter, whenever I have to tie an inline swivel to my main line I always run a fluoro leader to the bait. Now, I don't personally use superline at all during the winter but I would def. be running a fluoro leader if I did.

On Simcoe the lakers and whitefish are almost exclusively found deeper than 60-70 feet. With mono that is a lot of line stretch, coupled with a short rod it is hard to get a solid hook set. Many people use braid to help off-set the amount of line and short rods. I use 18-36 inches of flouro leader material tied to a small swivel to connect to my braid main line. A mono leader would work as well, but in theory you can use a heavier pound test flouro leader than you could one of mono.

On my rods I have 20lb test (break strength) braid and either 10lb or 12lb test flouro. I don't claim that to be the best set-up, it's just what I use.

The issue with vanish is that it is meant to be used as a main line. Good flouro sucks as a main line because it coils too much due to its strength and stiffness. Vanish is meant to be a compromise between mono and flouro, and in most people's opinions it fails to do it well.

All types of line have strengths and weaknesses. The challenge is to use the right line, or combination, at the right time and with the right set-up.

Thanks for the info .... I have not yet had a break off at the hole .. but I will look into a different brand of Fluoro and compare it.

As a rule of thumb if you are using for example 10 lb braid what strength fluoro carbon leader should you use ? is there a ratio for this type of setup ?

I don't trust superline under 20lbs... seen it break too often. At least with 10lb mono there IS some stretch which also acts like a shock absorber when fighting trout. It helps keep them pinned. With no stretch in thin 10lb superline I've seen it break way to easy. I agree it's better for deep water hooksets but the other thing... it's useless if you're fishing outside and it's cold... it freezes up and becomes hard to deal with. To each their own.