a lesson in fluorocarbon ?

Lunatic

I have never used fluorocarbon line before. I use braided line because my favourite type of fishing is in weeds and heavy cover,but ive been thinking of buying a small spool of fluorocarbon line and swivels, and tie on say 3 feet or so of fluoro as a leader when fishing open or clear water to better my chances of landing those line sensitive fish.

Is this a bad idea?

is one brand crap compared to another?

i went to the bass pro website and read some reviews and on the berkley vanish it got all thumbs down,people saying that the line breaks easy and losing a lot of lures etc. , of course i dont have the money to be buying lures on the account of crappy line that frays easy and or has too much memory.

I also would like to avoid buying another rod/reel set up or have to bring 2 set ups on every trip. i like to fish places that have a lot of open water with areas with heavy cover.

btw- this isnt for ice fishing, just dreaming and thinking ahead to the spring/summer.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
I have never used fluorocarbon line before. I use braided line because my favourite type of fishing is in weeds and heavy cover,but ive been thinking of buying a small spool of fluorocarbon line and swivels, and tie on say 3 feet or so of fluoro as a leader when fishing open or clear water to better my chances of landing those line sensitive fish.

Is this a bad idea?

is one brand crap compared to another?

i went to the bass pro website and read some reviews and on the berkley vanish it got all thumbs down,people saying that the line breaks easy and losing a lot of lures etc. , of course i dont have the money to be buying lures on the account of crappy line that frays easy and or has too much memory.

I also would like to avoid buying another rod/reel set up or have to bring 2 set ups on every trip. i like to fish places that have a lot of open water with areas with heavy cover.

btw- this isnt for ice fishing, just dreaming and thinking ahead to the spring/summer.

fluoro leads is excellent. don't buy berkley vanish. there's lots of decent brands and likely several guys on here will recommend different ones to you. i use mostly seaguar, i use raven when steelheading, and i have used some of the mainstream brands like berkley etc...

If you want it for leaders make sure you by the leader material.

There is a big difference between a flouro line and a flouro leader.

The line is not as tough as the leader material and the line is also formulated tobe more castable (softer, less memory).

If you see a spool of Berkley Vanish back away slowly until you are 15 or 20 feet away then turn and run, run like the wind!!!!! :lol:

Drifter, well said. Lunatic, I do exactly what you do. Like Drifter said buy the leader flouro. i run Seagar as well. You don't need a swivel unless you are using something that you are worried will twist up your line. There are a number of knots you can use to attach the lines together. I use a uni to uni myself. Its easy to learn and never fails. Look some up. Power pro even gives you a little book showing a bunch iwith their product.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
If you see a spool of Berkley Vanish back away slowly until you are 15 or 20 feet away then turn and run, run like the wind!!!!! :lol:

it's not even fit for my wife's crafts! lol!

Thanks for the replies.

I dont really need it as a leader, i want to be able to use my braid in the heavy stuff then turn around tie on about 3 or 4 feet of fluoro to the braid in the open clear water to maybe bait the fish better into striking. im not to sure how well 30lb green power pro shows up in open water, i wouldnt say i've had any real issues getting fish to strike it,but i think i could do better?

Bass and walleye are my targets, wire leaders on my braid for pike.

so do i buy fluoro leaders anyways? or go with a small spool of line and have at it?

Recommend any companies?

im staying away from the vanish :D

Thats what we are sayin. Buy the leader material and tie a few feet on the end of your line. Technically that is a leader. I use 30lb power pro as well and I run a few feet of seagar leader flouro and I think its makes a hell of a diference. Being stiffer than braid it helps when sing jerkbait and glide baits as well. They tend to tangle with braid as it is too limp. Faster presentations don't require it, but anything slower and in clear water I think you will see a big advantage to running Flouro on the end of your braid. I use it in clear water my musky gear as well, although sometimes I really don't think they are line shy anyway.

Actually I like to use it when I am fishing around rocks and wood as I think it is more durable that braid as well, plus it's easier to determine when its time to re-tie when compared to braid. The only disadvantage I can see to using a few feet of flouro at the end of yor main line braid is when you are fishing in heavy weed cover as the knot used to join the two becomes a spot for weeds to get caught up on and braid does a better job cutting through weeds.

If you use a floro main line and or leader better learn some new knots. the clinch knot cant be used with flourocarbon,It sinches too tight and slips in on itself until it cuts off. This might why some of you guys are loosing lures. I fish in gbay and its super clear these days so its a must for me.I prefer to use a higher quality line than vanish for shore fishing steelies but we loose alot of rigs to rocks and shail. To cut cost on line we use vanish as a main line in the rocky stuff and higher price lines in the sand. We caught hundreds of steelhead this season in still water conditions and the vanish took alot more bites than the guys still using mono.