...more kawartha frustration

Jer

We gave Chemong another try for some panfish yesterday and once again were skunked. We tried a few different areas, anywhere from 9' to 16' and only managed a couple of bites in the shallower water and nothing at all anywhere else.

There were two COs out patrolling, we were visited by the same guy as last week. He remembered us so we didn't even need to show our licenses this time. He mentioned that nobody else seemed to be catching as well, so I guess we shouldn't feel too bad.

Today we'll give Buckhorn another try.

Ya a buddy of mine had that idea when we first spoke of the new regs. He lives in Mississauga and fishes a couple times a year. He figgered these fish had never seen a bait in the winter and you would just need to cut a hole and catch fish.

I told him I don't think it'll be so easy...

I don't think it'll be so easy...

This has been my thought all along. Many guys in Ontario target panfish in small pits/quarries and do well. Now we can fish large open systems in which there is extensive stretches of decent habitat. Time to break out some old fishing mags and refresh on Panfish Do's and Don'ts. I have always enjoyed the book, Bluegills! by Dave Genz. I had another read of this book last week. I think this book would be a great read for some guys starting to spend time on the Kawarthas. At least it will get guys thinking in the right frame of mind to find some decent bluegills.

As for crappie...well, we will leave that to Mike B. to figure out. B)

... but ... but, I thought the new ice fishing season on the Kawartha's was supposed to ruin and devastate this fish population on these lakes due to folks raping and pillaging all the fish thru the ice!!! :rolleyes:

A man after my own heart.

Jim

I know the sound of the snowmobiles and ATVs are not new to the fish but I'm thinking the sound of augers might be spooking them...???

My little six inch hand auger is pretty quiet. Today on buckhorn we were the only fisherpeople in sight.

What a concept, people enjoying themselves ice fishing in the kawartha's.

Chemong lake was covered with anglers today, all parts of the lake. I saw dad's, mom's, kids and grandparents all out fishing together today.

Great to see! :thumbsup_anim:

Concerning the raping and pillaging of the walleye fishery.....not happening.

Concerning the lack of enforcement......not happening.

Concerning the dangerous ice conditions for anglers......not happening.

Concerning Mike B. figuring out the winter crappie pattern......not happening. (yet :dunno: )

Actually was a pretty decent day for me on Chemong today, myself and ice fishing Elvis, managed 3 crappie, 5 largemouth (one diesel close to 5lbs), 1 sunfish and over 60 perch with enough 10-11 inch fish for a good feed if we had wanted, instead everything went back.

Good action in 8 feet of water on a weed flat but very little weed where we fished. The best bite was on small teardrops with a minnow head. Jigged right beside a live minnow all day on 2lb test and only caught three fish on the minnow.

Fished until dark but most action was mid-morning.

We drilled right across the lake looking for depth, fish, whatever and ended up back in 8 feet.

CO's were out yesterday on Chemong from what we heard.

We had to be careful of the vehicle traffic that was all over the lake.

A nice day on the water 5 minutes from home. All money spent fishing today stayed in my community. :D

http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/A...pg&newest=1

http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/A...pg&newest=1

Glad to hear you finally had at least some luck out on Chemong, Mike.

Were the crappie in shallower as well? or just the perch? With the water so clear, fishing in 8' seems like you're fishing right under your feet when you look down. We watched quite a few perch swim past our baits yesterday, but they seemed in a real negative mood. The slightest shake of a jig and they would scatter, the only two fish I got were on a live minnow, but even on that they seemed more interested in pecking at it rather than eating it. I guess I gotta downsize my jigs.

Mr. Brown

Concerning your true knowledge of what is probably taking place on the rest of the Kawarthas lakes during the day or yes after dark, or anytime when you're not out there or hidden in your clam, or what takes place in the future........................ AMAZING.

...so what's your point?

Mr. Brown

Concerning your true knowledge of what is probably taking place on the rest of the Kawarthas lakes during the day or yes after dark, or anytime when you're not out there or hidden in your clam, or what takes place in the future........................ AMAZING.

It sounds like Fluffy drinks more than I do! :rolleyes: