FINALLY hit the hard stuff!

I've got to keep this short as I've got some thins to get done around the house tonight. I was finally able to get out with Averie for our first Ice fishing session of 2010. We decided to hit long point bay out of St. Williams, and my wife's cousin Darryl Propper taxied us out to the fishing grounds. The guys at Grangers hooked us up with some primo minnow's and dropped us off amongst the city of ice huts.

Here's the details:

Ice: approx. 6 inches everywhere we drilled holes

Depth: 5 Feet

Water: Crystal Clear

Temp: 33 Deg.

Bait: Jigging Spoon tipped with a minnow & Micro Jigs Tipped with Minnow's and Gulp Fish fry

The jigging spoon would bring the perch in, and once they were under our hut they'd hit anything....very aggressive bite today...

I'll let the pix tell the story.

First off we forgot the most important piece of equipment - but Averie's Poppa was nice enough to deliver us our Ice Auger! LOL

IMG_6886.jpg

Catching a ride out to the fishing grounds

IMG_6898.jpg

The ride out

DSCF2184.jpg

Setting up

DSCF2213.jpg

DSCF2212.jpg

Our Hut and Set up

DSCF2188.jpg

DSCF2187.jpg

Awaiting the bite...

DSCF2219.jpg

And the fish

DSCF2192.jpg

DSCF2194.jpg

Here's a double header! lol one of many

DSCF2222.jpg

A release shot

DSCF2223.jpg

The kiss

DSCF2207.jpg

Count 'em up - 5 fish all thinking about eating my bait - shot with the waterproof fuji

DSCF2215.jpg

And our bounty for the day! lol 2 whole keepers, and one was a bullhead.

IMG_6908.jpg

All in all we probably caught 50 to 60 fish or more, the average size was only 4 inches but the kid had a blast which is all that counts.

Good luck out there - and play safe.

Cheers,

Ryan

Sounds like a great day!

Were you north of the pressure crack? I heard the ice is getting bad.

Hey Dano!

We were probably one of the closest huts to shore. We stayed on the inside of the city of huts where the ice was still plenty safe. A couple of Quads and a 1 hut went through way out towards the point. There's been reports of 12 inches of ice, but Averie and I didn't find more then 6 inches if not less. Lot's of fish, but all dinks!

Great report and pics Ryan :thumbsup_anim:

Looks like you kids had a blast out there!!!

Averie's such a sweetheart :angel: loved the pic of the kiss B)

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

Jacques! We only fished ti'l just after lunch but had a blast for sure! Thanks for the Gulp Fish Fry dude! The perch ate them up, along with minnow heads and tails. They weren't picky today, which kept me plenty busy. I think I spent more time taking fish off Averies hook than fishing myself...

.......Thanks for the Gulp Fish Fry dude! The perch ate them up, along with minnow heads and tails. They weren't picky today, which kept me plenty busy. I think I spent more time taking fish off Averies hook than fishing myself...

Yeah tell me about it..... decided to leave my two jars at home cause I was using minnows today :wallbash:

Wish I hadn't done that :oops: would made a killing on them perch..... had a set line that got hit constantly throughout my stay. Ah well kept me busy running for a while :lol:

I was wondering when Avery would finally drag you out.....lol

As per usual a priceless report. Wow...what an awesome fishing partner you got, i'll say it again....cant wait to get my boy out there.

Love the pics...the kiss is superb...but i must be getting old as it took me a while to actually see the perch in your waterproof piccy....lol...must replace the lens in my monacle.

Love your reports Ryan.....keep 'em coming.

Simon

I was wondering when Avery would finally drag you out.....lol

As per usual a priceless report. Wow...what an awesome fishing partner you got, i'll say it again....cant wait to get my boy out there.

Love the pics...the kiss is superb...but i must be getting old as it took me a while to actually see the perch in your waterproof piccy....lol...must replace the lens in my monacle.

Love your reports Ryan.....keep 'em coming.

Simon

Thanks Simon! I've been telling her for weeks now that I'd take her out. Before you know it you'll be icing eyes and gators with your boy! When he's old enough to head out feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll try to give you some pointers on keeping the kids happy and loving the sport.

And no worries about not being able to spot the fish, I didn't have my camera on the right settings, but I didn't want to stick my arm back down the hole to try for a better picture! haha to cold for me.

Cheers,

Ryan