Mantario Trout Fishing

troutologist

During the work week Weather Network stare down, it seemed the mercury was trending up and the weekend promised to bring mild temperatures and would offer a mixed bag of sun and snow. Regardless of which type of weather the trout wanted to feed in, we had it this weekend.

After work we filled up some trucks and made tracks to a cabin, the -25C temps weren't overly inviting, so with the fire roaring, we retreated to a local hotel to watch some hockey and let the cabin warm up. A period later things were on the right side of 0C it was time to serve dinner and drink. Planning and strategizing proved difficult and required the 7 of us to stay up into the early morning hours, to ensure a proper organization.

Day 1 was a trip into a nearby lake with stocked rainbow and splake

Some folks chose to drive to the access point, it was a pleasant morning so I opted to drive my sled with a 'boggan in tow.

Crazy_Train_2010_001.jpg

Following wolf tracks to our spot we drop lines to fast action, small splake and perch were present in droves and hungry, their numbers and diminutive size were not picture worthy. A few better rainbow were caught throughout the day, I managed one around 3lbs.

One gent hooked into something substantially larger, after a tough battle on light tackle, up came a 27" splake, a beauty!

Crazy_Train_2010_004.jpg

After tapered off, though more of all species were caught until dark.

Dinner and drinks followed...details are not particulary clear regarding events or conservation, however it seems those who didn't catch any fish took it the worst.

Day 2...time for lakers!

With cloud cover and snow flurries I was certain today was going to be good.

We set up near a saddle, covering 2 islands, a point and a mid depth flat, many holes were sunk for those eager to move and shacks set up to provide warming stations. The first 5 mins saw a nice jumbo laker come up to the hole on a jigging rap, a staunch conservationalist, the gentleman unhooked the laker before his head came up the hole.

The bite slowed....dead minnows on a hook (with no weight) were all the whitefish and lakers would take, a light touch was required to get them to commit, akin to Lindy rigging on ice, we took to finesse tactics...and it paid off.

Craig Stapon, celebrating a US victory at the Juniors and enjoying catching lake trout

Crazy_Train_2010_017.jpg

I hit a beauty, that fought like a tank, I thought it was going to spool me.

Crazy_Train_2010_013.jpg

Outside view

Crazy_Train_2010_015.jpg

The weekend was awesome, great company and pretty good fishing.

Yup no weight at all...fished from 20 to 80 feet...best luck was 45-50fow....long time going to the bottom but worth it.

That's remarkable, just when you think you've heard everything!

I wonder if maybe some thin pencil lead shoved down the minnows throat would hinder the action?

You've got me thinking now bud! :)

Yup no weight at all...fished from 20 to 80 feet...best luck was 45-50fow....long time going to the bottom but worth it.

I've caught a lot of lakers the same way. After watching them eat up my chum, and not touch my jig, I put a salty on a bare hook, and let it go down with the chum. I had a fish on in minutes...........it works like a charm!!

Its amazing how they will suck back a hand full of salties, but not touch one on a lure, or a live minnow.

S.