Ugly Stick Ice Rod/Reel Combos?

Eazy

As any experienced angler can see, when it comes to ice rod/reel combos there seems to be a lot of junk out on the market!......But, the other day I noticed that Ugly Stick had a pretty sweet-lookin' set-up, and am wondering if any fellow anglers have had the oppourtunity to try these units out?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i use an ugly ice combo for my bush hikes...it's perfect. ask my friends who have hiked behind me when i'm tired. rod tip sticking up above my pack clipping on every tree....still hasn't broken. and for 29.99, it performs well enough...

that said, if you're gonna do some laker fishing or anything in ANY depth, get one of the rods at western tire and put a small spinning reel on it, even one you have already if you have a small reel... having a small cheap quantum even is WAYYYYYYY better than one of those small spooled, easy tangling, constantly freezing up "ice rods"...

that's just my .02

Guest buick14

i would go with the HT enterprise impact power, its 17.99 or so alone, or its $21.76 at le baron with an accucast reel (which the exact reel can be purchased seperate at le baron for 19.76 and is amazing for the price especially)

I've seen this combo go for 44.99 in some places, and the reel is FAR SUPERIOR to 99% of the ones which come in a package rod/reel deal

I own both, to me side by side, I cant tell the difference.......and I will say HT has pretty decent rods for the price especially

go check out the HT version impact power combo its worth it, but if you settle with an ugly stick, try to buy the rod and piece together another reel..

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_fall09/ice..._pro_combos.pdf

Edited by buick14

I have one of the Ugly Stick combos. I reeled in a 24" 10Lb whitie last weekend with it. It was the only rod I had with ice braid, so I used it. I don't normally use it for big fish.

It's a tough rod. Not to sure about the reel though. I've only cought a few big fish with it, but I think it's only a mater of time before it explodes..

I have one...and its sits at home and doesnt move...i find it way to light, and not stiff enough, or nearly enough back bone, my dad has one to, and he traded it in for a st.croix ice rod. Last year he would jig with it, hit a fish, drop the rod and start hand bombing...we both found them useless...like others said,

just my .02

i use an ugly ice combo for my bush hikes...it's perfect. ask my friends who have hiked behind me when i'm tired. rod tip sticking up above my pack clipping on every tree....still hasn't broken. and for 29.99, it performs well enough...

that said, if you're gonna do some laker fishing or anything in ANY depth, get one of the rods at western tire and put a small spinning reel on it, even one you have already if you have a small reel... having a small cheap quantum even is WAYYYYYYY better than one of those small spooled, easy tangling, constantly freezing up "ice rods"...

that's just my .02

Yah, for lakers, I've got a 36" Emery I think it's called, teamed with a small Quantum snap-shot...........I think Compac makes the same rod now....just enquiring about the Uglyies tho.......from the previous posts, the ugly is o.k for smaller fish apps..

Yah, for lakers, I've got a 36" Emery I think it's called, teamed with a small Quantum snap-shot...........I think Compac makes the same rod now....just enquiring about the Uglyies tho.......from the previous posts, the ugly is o.k for smaller fish apps..

The ugly stick won't break...but don't expect to feel anything through it either Glynn. Think "limp noodle" as an action.

HERE is what you need....28 or 32" medium B)

http://stcroixrods.com/product/premier_ice

The ugly stick won't break...but don't expect to feel anything through it either Glynn. Think "limp noodle" as an action.

HERE is what you need....28 or 32" medium B)

http://stcroixrods.com/product/premier_ice

My Cabelas fish Eagle is about the best "Quality" combo I've ever come across......rod could be a touch longer tho, as it's only 28"..