Lake Erie Walleye

BigUn'

I know that most fishermen that regularly fish Erie use downriggers,planar boards,dipseys, etc and are well set up to fish that way.Does anyone here use any of the more small water techniques from a boat with any success?For instance dragging tubes,drifting with live bait, or casting crankbaits.

I know that most fishermen that regularly fish Erie use downriggers,planar boards,dipseys, etc and are well set up to fish that way.Does anyone here use any of the more small water techniques from a boat with any success?For instance dragging tubes,drifting with live bait, or casting crankbaits.

That is a great question. I always just fish for smallies in Erie, but would love to fish for some walleye next summer. I am not into all of the gear though (planers, down riggers, etc.) and have alway wondered the same thing. I mean will a jig and a grub work just as well in 55 FOW if you are willing to wait for it to get down there?

Jim

Same here,just really targeted smallies and that's what I got,not that I'm complaining.When bass fishing in the Kawarthas though there was always the incidental walleye or even musky.Just never had it happen on Erie.I'm not being serious but how about a split shot and minnow under a slip float at 55 feet.

Before we got into all the downriggers and stuff we would get a few evening fishing out of Port Colborne just out from what we referred to as the east break wall, water would vary from 15 to 30 feet deep. With a predominate SW wind we would run to the east side of the shipping channel by the foghorn and drift towards Nickle Plant Beach along the east wall jigging with worm tipped Erie Dearie's. This was quite some time ago but probably worth a try if your close to Port Colborne.

Edited by dave524