Newbie Electrical Question

canuckjack

This stuff is probably bleedingly obvious but I'm new to fishing/boating and I haven't found a real clear answer anywhere.

I picked up my first boat this fall after renting a boat for the first time up on the Mazinaw where I caught this bug that's making me spend money on fishing stuff that I haven't the slightest idea how to use :rolleyes: She's a 20 year old 16' aluminum with a 1989 30hp 2 stroke Johnson. The motor doesn't have an alternator but I want to be able to run the marker lights, a trolling motor (to be purchased) and a fish finder (also to be purchased before the water goes soft). Is there anything aside from a 12v deep cycle marine battery and a charger that I'll need to be able to connect these components, ie: will the fish finder connect directly to the battery or is there something needed between those, and will one battery be enough or does a trolling motor need it's own battery?

And while I'm asking newbie-like questions any opinions on good entry level trolling motors or fish finders?

putting the lights on the same battery as the trolling motor is no problem, but some trolling motors cause RF and that can affect electronics so you may want a second battery for fishfinders and G

PS, but it will not hurt them so you can give it a try before you buy a second battery

and it wouldn't hurt to have a 30 to 50 amp fusible link at the battery, so if there is a short it will not burn up the battery

you can keep things clean by putting a terminal block in and wiring your electronics from there. i imagine for a boat that size your trolling motor will be 12V, and a decent deep cycle will run everything for hours. in line fuses are a must, light guage wiring can burn up in no time with shorts and such.

good luck.