ATV requirements

Fisherpete

Well, after walking out on Thursday and nearly keeling over from dragging the shelters and gear thru the snow drifts, my buddy Al went out and picked up a used ATV!

What is required for us to be legal on the ice?

I am guessing the following:

Helmets

Registration (where do you do this?)

Plates

Insurance

What about for towing gear? I am guessing you need to have some sort of tow bar or something? How do you attach this to portable shelters/sleds etc?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

You need to register the quad with the MTO. I believe you have 10 day's.

Insurance minimum is liability. Have the slip of paper in your wallet.

Helmuts are a must.

Towing anything you must have a solid bar attatchment to whatever you're towing.

Good fishing.

Guest skeeter99
Well, after walking out on Thursday and nearly keeling over from dragging the shelters and gear thru the snow drifts, my buddy Al went out and picked up a used ATV!

What is required for us to be legal on the ice?

I am guessing the following:

Helmets

Registration (where do you do this?)

Plates

Insurance

What about for towing gear? I am guessing you need to have some sort of tow bar or something? How do you attach this to portable shelters/sleds etc?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

you got it all

registration is done at the mto same as your car(that is how you get plates) and change or get ownership, insurance td is the cheapest

and you need a tow bar for a hut or shelter ... if they catch you youll get a ticket

When I bought my ATV in 2002, I had to plate it, it was free. Insurance is still a must. My 2000 Polaris Magnum 325 had a ball hitch on it. I bought a combo hitch from CTC for about 50 bucks, which allows ball hitch(your choice of size for what you tow, sold separately), pintel hitch, and pin hitch for my Polar Boggan for ice fishing. Helmet is mandatory.