Dominican Republic Fishing

Doctrt

Happy New Years to everyone! I'll be heading to Puerto Plata on Sunday and I'd like to try my hand at some fishing while I'm down there. I was in Cuba a few years back, but I didn't have much success at catching anything bigger than my hand. I hope to get into some Baracuda or something similar if possible. Has anyone had any success at fishing there from shore? If so, what should I be using? I'll also consider doing a charter if I get really desperate. I'm staying at the Riu Mambo. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

T

Het DocTRT;

My family and I stayed at the Rui Mambo at couple of years ago. Fantastic place, one of the best trips we have ever had.

I did get to try the deep sea fishing also and had a great time.

When you get to the resort, find the Rui Bachata which you have access to all the facilities (Rui's rule). Anyway behind the resort is the water sport equipment place, where you will get info about the off resort deep sea fishing.

I went for a half day an it cost $75.00 US worth every penny. The boat was very respectable and the crew friendly. We went out about 3-4 miles and caught wahoo, sailfish, dolphin fish and a blue marlin. We actually hooked up a triple header of two sailfish and the marlin at the same time. Everyone takes a turn in the fighting chairs, the more fish they hook-up the more turns you get. Even if I had not caught anything it was a blast. Seeing the different species of fish, also a sea turtle and tons of flying fish was worth the money alone.

We are planning on heading back to the Mambo this March and this time I am going deep sea all day.

We were there over Christmas , so the fishing info should be helpful for this time of year. Check the resort forcast before booking your day.

The crew keep the fish and sell them to support their income. If you want one ask in advance.

Not sure about the shore fishing as the whole place is a giant beach and covered with above the waist unprotected skin. :blush:

Have a great trip.

Edited by Michael Brown

Het DocTRT;

blah blah blah blah.......

Not sure about the shore fishing as the whole place is a giant beach and covered with above the waist unprotected skin. :blush:

Have a great trip.

Now that would be worth the trip in itself! ha ha ha

What? ;)

The man wanted some accurate info.

I always knew where to find my teenage boys... at the pool. Strange they didn't seem to swim much. :angel:

Really was a fanatstic trip. Three resorts side by side, all Rui's and access to all in a very fair price.

Edited by Michael Brown

Although I didn't catch anything when I was there last year, I did meet a fellow Canadian that did well. I guess I partied too much to get to the beach at the best times. :o

He used a bobber with what looked like a worm harness and bacon. Said the fish prefer bacon and not the ham and took it from the buffet. The best times were morning and just before sun set.

A local I talked to for some time, said the beaches around PP are pretty good fishing spots and the odd big cuda are caught on crank baits in the evening from shore.

I didn't get a guide however...didn't want to be that far from a bar! ;)

I picked up a cheap $25 combo from CTC that came in a case with a small lure pack. Great deal and left it there for some local kids.

Good luck and please post how you make out!

BTW - I was at the Gran Ventana, Barcelo and Allegro but the best area seemed to be where the caged rocks (old dock) at the point are...where they were spearing and the other Cannuck catching all kinds of fish.

Cheers,

Paul

Hey Legacey, how was the Ventana? May go there this year. Any complaints?

As for fishing in the Dominican, you have to try casting early in the morning with a large spoon (heavier the better). Having a stiff rod and 20 lb line minimum is helpful. I have caught small baracuda in the past doing this.

I have also done well using shrimp (that I got from the kitchen after leaving a few dollar tip) fished off bottom. Again, a stiff rod is ideal for this.

I have a rod case that I always bring with me on vacation and it is surprisingly very easy to transport by checking in in the overside luggage/baggae area. Never had an issue.

Edited by fisher

Hey Fisher...it was fantastic!

Our group stayed close to the "quiet" bar (it was never this and I think called that only cause of the no kids) in the back end of the resort. We met a lot of great people there from around the world and beer and rum is always a language of it's own that people can use. :)

We do not have young kids so during the day, we stayed away from the big pool and area. Way too many kids and catering to them. But this is a good thing for their parents.

Food was excellent, entertainment was lacking IMO but I found this in all resorts I've been too there. Way too much Celine Dion and Brian Adams (I don't like their music) trying to cater to us Canadians and would have prefered their cultural music.

Cheers