Canada's Olympic Team

Wendel

i agree... how do u leave off mike green??!?!

Some of the hockey talking heads discussed that and made a good point. Does the team want goal scorers for defencemen or defencemen who can score goals. Green may not measure up in the defence department.

I was a little surprised at Fleury ahead of Luongo but the guys picking the team have done their due diligence.

JF

mike green is such a offensive defenceman... imho, he wouldn't be able to handle it....

my only question is pronger.. on such a large ice surface why pick the slowest d'man out there...

then again with all the talent out there.. no pick is really a wrong pick..

As much as I dislike Pronger he has some pretty solid credentials as an international player. I just hope he can resist the temptation to do something dirty and give our country's team a black eye.

JF

If Canada picked a 2nd team,

Just for the heck of it, picked Team B from leftover Canadian players

Goaltenders

Carey Price, Montreal

Steve Mason, Columbus

Marty Turco, Dallas

Defencemen

Dion Phaneuf, Calgary

Jay Bouwmeester, Calgary

Mike Green, Washington

Brian Campbell, Chicago

Sheldon Souray, Edmonton

Kevin Bieska, Vancouver

Tyler Myers, Buffalo

Forwards

Jeff Carter, Philadelphia

Mike Smith, Ottawa

Vincent Lecavalier, Tampa

Simon Gagne, Philadelphia

Martin St. Louis, Tampa

Ryan Smyth, Los Angeles

Micheal Cammalleri, Montreal

Marc Savard, Boston

Brad Richards, Dallas

Nathan Horton, Florida

John Tavares, New York Islanders

Steve Stamkos, Tampa

Still not a bad team for non-picks. :thumbsup_anim::canadian:

The roster was announced by position in alphabetical order, and while I'm sure the staff has some firm plans for depth, that doesn't have to be (and won't be) reviled until the games commence. The IOC requires them to announce the roster, I'm sure they would rather wait until closer to the games since there is no time to practise anyway.

that's mighty cocky to say considering where we finished last olympics. on paper our team then was just as good.

Many would argue that the team in 2006 was not nearly as good as the current team, but that's all subjective debate anyways.

Canada won gold in 2002. The last time Russia won gold? 1988 in Calgary (as the Soviet Union) when it was amateurs playing.

In the end, Canada is the favourite to win gold, and I'll take a bet from anyone who wants to disagree. Heck, I just bought the new Stradic CI4 on Boxing Day...I'd be willing to put that up if anyone wants to bet against our boys :thumbsup_anim:

Many would argue that the team in 2006 was not nearly as good as the current team, but that's all subjective debate anyways.

Canada won gold in 2002. The last time Russia won gold? 1988 in Calgary (as the Soviet Union) when it was amateurs playing.

In the end, Canada is the favourite to win gold, and I'll take a bet from anyone who wants to disagree. Heck, I just bought the new Stradic CI4 on Boxing Day...I'd be willing to put that up if anyone wants to bet against our boys :thumbsup_anim:

In '92 the Gold was won by the team representing what was left of the crumbling USSR. Technically Russia has never won Olympic gold in mens hockey.