Balsam lake

fish-miester

Just got back off Balsam...turns out my hut is in 8' - 9' of water over a mud flat...can clearly see the bottom. Beleive according my gps close to deep water on one side 15 -18 ' and weeds of 5'-6' on the other. Caught about a dozen perch missed that many as well on live shiners. Was hoping to see the odd pike but no such luck...the 6 lb line would not have handled them. A few of the perch hit the split shot, so maybe small jigs may be in order. It was a great start and fealt a little like a historic occasion.

Pattern may be like the bog and better action in the evening/dark...going to give that a go tommorw.

Best of Luck !

BL

• 1 month later...
Please, Please, Please be sure it is a pike you are keeping and not a muskie.

If someone does catch and keep a pike that they are NOT interested in eating, if you can freeze it whole and get it to me I will give it to the OMNR Biologists for a stomach content research and also DNA testing.

This will coincide with the research that Muskies Canada and the OMNR will be conducting on Balsam Lake over the next few years.

You can E-mail me with the details and I will make arrangements to collect the specimen.

Thanks

Tom McCutcheon

Release Director

Kawartha Lakes Chapter

Muskies Canada.

is that only for balsam or other kawartha lakes with the pike problem as well?

Balsam has most of the pike problem as they have settled in there as well as canal lake. the other lakes are pike free for the most part from what i understand

fish-miester you are correct... At this time we believe that the Pike are only in as far as Balsam and Canal on the west end of the system. There have been reports of Pike caught at Percys Reach on the east end. Our initiatives are to try and determine how well established the Northern Pike are in these areas. Our studies will hopefully lead us to a happy solution to this problem.

Tom McCutcheon

Release Director

Kawartha Lakes Chapter

Muskies Canada