The Torch Run (NF)

Dano

My mom had mentioned to me that she really wanted to see the Olympic torch and she was going to go see it at Square One in Mississauga. I wasnt sure how close she would actually get to it there. Luckily enough, the guy that was chosen to run the last leg here in Orangeville is a friend of mine, Bryon Mackie, former welterweight and middleweight Canadian boxing champ and he was going to light the big flame here in town so I told mom to come on up, her chances of getting close were much better. She got closer than she had ever hoped and was tickled pink, but declined the offers of getting her pic taken. I had no such qualms.... :P I must admit, it was pretty cool!

Bryon

gallery_42_223_30607.jpg

Fern, Bryon and me

gallery_42_223_31124.jpg

gallery_42_223_24503.jpg

I had the 17th off & it just so happened that was the day the Torch was rolling through Scarborough.

I went to Albert Campbell Square to see how close I could get...

IMG_1044Small.jpg

I then headed over to the switch...

IMG_1052Small.jpg

IMG_1053Small.jpg

IMG_1057Small.jpg

I was by myself, so I had to get a shot like this...

IMG_1051Small.jpg

I was also able to score 2 limited '2010 Torch Run' edition aluminum Coca Cola bottles, one Classic & one Zero. Really nice, & they came out of this...

IMG_1040Small.jpg

There was also a demonstration of snowboarders on a trampoline...

IMG_1030Small.jpg

IMG_1035Small.jpg

I HAVE to admit. It's been a loooong time since I felt this patriotic. Don't get me wrong, I've always been a proud Canadian, but as a country, we don't usually run around shouting it out.

On this day, I saw people of ALL races & ALL ages celebrating the same thing, at the same time.

It was truly a day I won't forget, & to think that it was all just a fluke.

My girlfriend joined the Christian Fellowship Choir at her job recently & they were singing Christmas carols during their lunch break at work, so I thought I'd head over, since I was off work that day...

IMG_0999Small.jpg

IMG_1011Small.jpg

Once she had to go back to work, I noticed the gathering outside getting bigger, & that's when I saw the sign about the event. I only had to stick around 2 hours until it showed up!

Thanks for posting your pics, Dano!