A few boxing day walleye.

limeyangler

Hi All,

went out today with my buddy Lew, all the toys came out today...and we headed to Dore lake in search of Whitefish and walleye.

The plan was to try a few spots early for whities before the evening walleye bite.....but it took way to long getting in and we only had a few minutes to look for whities before heading to our walleye spot. It Has really dumped snow the last couple of days...upto 2 feet deep on the trail in....we effectively broke trail. Snowdrifts on the lake in some points were as deep as 3', and thew wind was howling at around 20kmh. To make things even slower going it was a balmy -4 C today, the snow was heavy and wet because of the mild temps, so i broke trail and Lew followed on his 4x4.

ALL THE TOYS CAME OUT TODAY

IMG_0024.jpg

Today we looked for a deep part of the lake and found the break...sure enough...there they were, at the transition point in deeper water 25'-33' FOW...not unlike where you find them before the ice arrives fall fishing.

I have been having the best results with 3"-5" dace or sucker minnows...its been like walleye candy from around end of October, the walleye still have the feed bag on and are trying to pile on the weight for a long cold winter.

I am fast becoming a convert to jigging raps, and williams spoons , ive been getting them to bite agressively on these (around the 2" size). i'll break the head off a medium minnow and attach the tail bit to the back hook of a jigging rap...looks like an extension of the lure...only juicy and real...tail gives it a good motion too when hooked just so (this also works killer for Lakers)

On the spoons i dont tend to add any minnow but now and again i'll attach just the head.

an 1/8 jig and minnow has been good too, i have been hooking them just behind the dorsal fin this year instead of in the mouth, through the gill and across the back....i've been catching way more fish this year hooking the minnow like that. We are allowed two lines so this year that has been my dead stick...1/8 oz jig and great big minnow....and i'm experimenting with different lures on my secongd line...jig...jig...jiggin' away.

Anyhoo...here's my usual video diary of this afternoon Shinnanagans....hopefully the bleep outs cover the coarse language at the start....i missed 2 fish....one bit my jiggin' rap, whilst the dead stick line outside the hut was getting dragged in the hole...lol...managed to miss both fish!

REALLY NICE COLORS ON THESE WALLEYE....ALMOST BLACK AND GOLD...AWESOME!

Great report, pic and video Simon :thumbsup_anim:

Man you make it look so easy B)

Beautiful colors on them eyes and bet they were tasty too :whistling:

Had some really awe full weather here yesterday.... will be targeting a local lake hopefully this week for some eyes :D

Thanks for sharing and keep them reports coming

Jacques

another great report keep'em comming

Thanks Walleye_man, my next report will be trout i think, but i might get out 1 more time for walleye before the New Year....happy New Year to you BTW, hope you get those walleye to bite next time your out.

i can't wait for some eye fishing.

You not got ice yet?

love those video diaries limey well played

No worries WS...always recording.

Great report, pic and video Simon :thumbsup_anim:

Man you make it look so easy B)

Beautiful colors on them eyes and bet they were tasty too :whistling:

Had some really awe full weather here yesterday.... will be targeting a local lake hopefully this week for some eyes :D

Thanks for sharing and keep them reports coming

Jacques

I'd like to think i have good skillz...but i think the lakes round here make it easy Jacques...sooo many freekin' fish in them :thumbsup_anim:

Great Report Limey!

Thanks Tibbs

Happy New Year to ya!

Great report and vid's a usual. I've been MIA from the board for a while did Lew hook you into any late season ski's?

Good to see ya back Peter, hope the new job is goin' good.

Yup...Lew and me got out a couple of times ....and yup...I got my first musky!..not to shabby at 42"........here's the post i did..MY FIRST MUSKY REPORT/POST

I was a little bit happy....lol

musky4.jpg

great report and video..my son loved the bleeps lol

Thanks Fishboy....lol...dont know how old your son is....but thats why i put them in...dont want the young 'uns to be negatively influenced :whistling:

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

WOW! Nice one too! Them northern ontario ski's have big heads and fins..... maybe it's like the 13 yr old kid with size 14 shoes, and the body catches up later in the upper 40'' range.

Great job, Great fish.

The new job is good almost great..... and they still haven't blocked OFC yet!

Edited by muskybugged