Muskoka ice

wee scot

I went down to Lake Rosseau here in Windermere yesterday ...bad news is the lake is wide open from the docks right over to the island ...winds broke out all the ice that we had last Tues and it has been quite windy ever since ...I am going to take the camera down a little later today and post a pic once I return.

Suds

Thanks for the update suds was hoping to hit windermere on saturday morning to try for a laker there were only four inches on her last year off the dock t6hat was on the 2nd of january fingers crossed for d day thanks again suds look forward to hearing back from you the wee scot

Well I just got back from the Windermere Wharf (Lake Rosseau) ....there is no ice ....docks are iced in but other than that the water is wide open as far as you can see in all three directions ...Damned winds....Portage Bay is closed up but no idea as to the thickness and it doesn't appear to had any walkers/sledders on it just a few deer tracks...Three mile Lake is closed up and snowmobiles are now crossing the lake ...there is one hut out about 100 yds from Northland Recreation's loading ramp ....the usual earlybird at Wonder Beach still has his hut on shore ....I didn't take a walk with the chisel so I can't tell you anything about the quality or thickness of the ice ...its going to be few weeks yet before Windermere will be ready to go ....that deepest dock is starting to look like a good spot ..LOL

Suds

Deer tracks on Portage Bay? That gives me a good idea to help conceal the good fishing spots so that people don't follow my footprints. Wear deer shoes when I walk out on the lakes. ;)

Thank you for scouting things out. Knowing where not to go is definitely helpful. The way things are going, the 2 big lakes will end up having the same feb 14 opener.

I went down to the wharf on Sunday afternoon ...ice had built its way out about 100 yds ...but the damned winds were just pounding it ...I'll go down tomorrow and see if it has improved at all ....there wasn't alot of steam rising off of it so it must be ready to start to harden up .....Hell even Simcoe is ahead of us this yr .....

Suds

3 mile has 4-6 inches anywhere i checked.... the guy who put the hut out across from northland brought it back in the next day.

many sleds crossing the lake and even many right out in the middle.

alot of the ice i checked had alot of slush with it, not much clear black ice.

Welcome aboard, Big Fisher. I would be careful on any lake you head out to right now...although lots of small ones seem to be getting better and better. You're PROBABLY safe to walk on most of the "small lakes"...but be smart.

Was down to the wharf in Windermere late yesterday afternoon ....still no real gains on the ice ...wind is continually breaking out any ice gains we have made with the recent cold snap ....I'm going to go down again this afternoon and hopefully snap a pic for all to see ....that is unless I get really depressed and break down and head over to Three Mile for perch ...urgggggggg

Suds

OOOoohhhh....that is some SERIOUS depression right there...I hope it doesn't come to that :lol: I'm thinking that after this warm spell is up...the winds will die down and the big lake should tighten up nicely. I know that people are on Muskoka...??? Or there's that shallow bay on Rosseau off the Brackenrig road...maybe that's firmed up enough?

hey guy's i just got an update on the ice conditions on lake muskoka and the bait shop guy tould me that the fire collage in gravenhurst has about 8 to 10 and a cupple huts and that most small bays should be safe to go on lake muskoka .

Just got back from the Windermere Wharf ....the bay is finally iced in as far as I could see with my telephoto lens on my camera ...there was someone straight out from the pier fishing today (walkers) but unfortunately they were gone before I got down there today. I didn't have my float suit or spud and had my 2.5 yr old grandson with me so I was unable to venture out myself to check the thickness ...hopefully either tomorrow or Sun I will finally be able to play with some trout ...I have a few pics that I will post a little later once I get them on my photo hosting site.

Suds

Well if you can get past their looks they are actually quite good to eat ....some people call them poor man's lobster or fresh water cod ...I found that if you boiled fillet chunks in salt water they actually have a lobster like taste ...just add garlic butter and you are good to go...last year we seemed to be catching a look more than the previous 5yrs on Rosseau and if you have multiple lines down they have a tendency to get them well tangled as they kinda ball up on the retrieve.

Suds

Huts have found there way to the ice in Windermere ...down there today and there was a 8x8 planted on the ice and a smaller one on the wharf waiting to be put out ....checked all my stuff and my hut may just be heading down there sometime tomorrow ......they walked the hut out but I will be checking first and if the ice is better than 6" everywhere I check the machine will be pulling mine out ....

Suds

We were fishing around Port Carling this past weekend. About 9 inches where we were, but still weak is some areas.. Only 1 permanent hut, but lots of us in portables. Drop in at the local bait shop "Bait On The Lake". He just bought the place and getting himself established. Great guy, and super friendly. He will give you the details if you show him that you are a nice person too! Be very careful out there.

Just bought the place? Does this mean John is finally done running Bait on the Lake? I hope the new guy is as good...heck, I hope the new guy is half as good! I love that shop!

Sudsy...glad to hear W-mere is good to go...next time I'm up I'll drop you a line!