I also need help in getting a DVD recorder - NF

carp-starter

I also need help in buying a DVD recorder. I know almost nothing about DVD recorders.

I have 2 tube TVs - 1 is 20 inches and the 2nd is 35 inches. And I will not upgrade unless I have to when one TV dies.

I had a VCR to record programs but it died. I am not into watching TV programs but it is nice to record a program and watch another when there are 2 programs that I like and they are on at the same time. I do not need anything more than a basic TV and basic TV programs. I do not need nor want to upgrade to something more that Cogeco has and wants me to get. I do not need and want HD TV or anything else.

Instead of buying a VCR from Future Shop, I would like to buy a DVD.

dave524's is a good suggestion (another thread) and the price is good.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...8436&catid=

Will this record TV programs with what I have in TVs and what I have from Cogeco - the most basic stuff.

Another DVD recorder caught my eye when I checked Future Shop.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...111&catid=#

From what I know, this unit will record under the same conditions as the above unit except that this unit can also record onto the 160GB hard drive. I also assume that later on one can copy a recorded hard drive program onto a DVD.

How many hours can one record onto a 160GB hard drive on a DVD recorder? I think that being able to record onto the recorder hard drive is a good feature.

I think that only 2 hours can be recorded onto a RW DVD. If one wanted to record 4 hours of programs, one would need a hard drive.

This is one area in which I am almost totally dumb - but this is my problem.

Thank you all.

carp-starter

I think that only 2 hours can be recorded onto a RW DVD. If one wanted to record 4 hours of programs, one would need a hard drive.

carp-starter

You generally have the option of recording anywhere from 2 to 6 hours on a DVD RW with a DVD recorder. The 2 hour option will be indistingushable from the original TV program, the 4 and 6 hour option will be more on the quality of your VHS machine, increasing image degradation with increased time. If you can afford it , the hard drive option would be nice though.

I have a 160gb recorder and it is good for about 70 hours of recording. I've been recording 4 1 hour shows since the beginning of September and have not deleted anything yet. I also recorded Braveheart, edited out the commercials and burned it to a DVD.

You can also watch a previously recorded show while the machine is taping a new show. The same goes for watching a DVD while the machine records. What I let the best is that I can come home part way through a show that is recording, hit the play button and watch it while it is still recording!

These machines are much better than a PVR because you can play, watch and burn DVD's.

The wife likes to record her soaps so we went the DVD recorder route to get rid of the tapes, we have not had much luck with this wonky technology.

Our first was a expensive Pioneer hard drive unit and that last a little over a year you know just after the warranty expired.We tried another brand and pretty much had the same result, we are now on our third unit a simple DVD recorder and so far it`s still working touch wood.

If this one craps out that is it it`s back to a VCR if I can find.

It sounds like you are just into basic TV so a simple VCR may be the best option.

Still have an old Zenith tv myself, but, do have a Toshiba DVD recorder (Christmas gift from the wife last year). I much prefer the DVD over the old VCR...time slip features, easy editing, etc...can record 4 hrs of "good" quality...2 hrs of excellent. The hard drive option sounds excellent if you don't mind spending a few extra dollars...also the way to go if you plan on recording a large amount while away from home on vacation or any other reason.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Everyone's post-reply has been very helpful.

I decided to buy the $299.99 unit with a hard drive. It will do a lot more than those without a hard drive.

In my case, $300.00 is the break point. If I can get 4 to 5 years of use and the cost of the unit is not more than $300.00, then I can be happy and call it to be "disposable".

The extended warranty at Future is $49.99 for 2 years. I think this is 1 year from Sony and 1 year from Future and so the cost, in my opinion, is high. But I guess I have to buy it because just like lookinforwalleye had posted, stuff you buy DIES - "just after the warranty expired."

FYI

I read somewhere about PVRs that you can buy and/or rent.

I live in Oakville and the "provider" for just about everything is Cogeco. If I were to buy a PVR from Cogeco (I think it is a PVR and not something else), this PVR is no good when you move to another area where Cogeco is not a provider. OR if you decided to go with another provider, a Cogeco PVR would not work.

It is the same problem that we once had with cell phones. If you have a Bell phone and wanted to go to Rogers, the Bell phone would be no good. Now, I think, things have changhed - you can use the same cell no matter who the provider is. If true, be aware of this.

For those people who have a DVD recorder or are converting to DVD but still have VCR tapes, check CTC. They have one VCR for about $55.00 bucks - I might get one since I have about 30 tapes of recorded TV programs.

Again, thank you all for your info.

carp-starter