Dec 14/09 - Last Soft Water Report 2009???? - Edited

superdad

Hi there,

Laker and I were able to arrange our hectic schedules to free up a day for possibly the last soft water fishing for 2009. Launching at Shermans went very well, the ramp was clear, cept a small patch of ice where the water had been lapping against the cement. There was snow on the road to the ramp from the parking area, the Explorer handled it - no problem!

Away we go - and I forgot the planer boards at the trailer, back to the ramp and ten minutes later we were off and heading to Picton Bay. Passed a boat who said they had boated a big one. Water temp in Picton Bay was at 35 degs F.

Saw a solo angler net a fish and continued to troll into the Bay with about seven other boats. We were getting antsy with no action and we had decided that one last run thru and we would head off. Trolling past some boats who called to me, we all discussed that was happening, when our plane board fired and Laker had the rod. A couple of minutes and into the net slide a nice walleye. Nine and half Pounds. Fish caught on Manns Stretch plus 20 - Blueberry Muffin

1214A_Lakerand95lbs.jpg

Well, we had to make a couple more passes and when they didn't produce, we headed back to Thompsons as we hoped to be able to get up Long Reach , but were blocked by a Reach full of very thin ice..... The water temp at the mouth of Hay Bay was 33 degs F.

We set the boards and began to troll, dodging the thin ice floes, the current was moving the ice mainly the west shore and it opened up some areas to troll. Here's what the trolling was like.

1214B_LateafternoonTrolling.jpg

It was a great day to fish in December, NO WIND - How the winds change - eh Steve!!!!!! We keep trolling and heading for the launch ramp maintained marking a large number of fish on the Lowrance. (That's what those TV fishers all say!!)

Almost ready to call it a day, the board wiggled a little and there was a fish on!! I took the rod and really thought we had a nice fish for the table as the pull wasn't that strong. Laker slipped the net under the fish and it was a lot bigger than I thought. Nine and three quarter pounds. Fish was caught on Rapala Taildancer TDD11- Purple Descent

1214G_Superdad-975lbs.jpg

One thing we did was to solve some of the mystery about slow trolling and the depths to which the lures would dive to. The Precision Trolling book is predicated on 1.5 MPH, but what is you're trolling at 1.0 MPH????

That's the great thing about fishing, you are always learning something.

We had a super day, with some success - Not Skunked is a good thing.

Back to the ramp at 1630 and headed home. Unless there is a MAJOR change in the weather, this will be the last soft water post. I'm not one to eagerly await the hard water, when it comes - it comes, if it were remain soft til Mid January - no problem.

Stay Tuned

Edited by superdad