Habs lose again

scuro2

Well it was a class act all the way. What a dynasty!! 15 stanley cups in 23 yrs, more players in the hall of fame than any other team, 24 cups in 100 yrs and the habs dressing room recreated in the HHOF, in TO to boot. yeah they suck right now and are playing like plugs from Junior C but they played with emotion and passion last night. The Montreal Canadians are the greatest hockey team in the last 100 yrs, all true hockey fans will acknowledge it. Whoever argues this point is a hockey fan that does not understand the game of hockey. I totally agreed with Ken Drydens comment about the pressure on this young team. Let them find their own way, they will surprise a lot of folks. Carey Price was crazy in nets last night!! He had a talk with both Roy and Dryden. Called them Mr.Roy and Mr.Dryden, too funny.

GO HABS GO FOR ANOTHE 100 YRS!!!

It was a very professional effort, although my cynical side wonders how much they paid professionals to orchestrate it. All the same, it came off very nicely. I'm pretty sure it had more than a little to do with Molsons taking over again and wanting to make a big splash. If a rich multinational was to buy the Leafs and wanted to make waves I'm pretty sure they could find people to do just as good a job, perhaps even the same promoters that did that show for the Molsons Habs. We won't get to find out though until they reach 100 years. We might be surprised at how much they throw into their show. After all, they've had the greatest fans in the history of hockey. Who else would stand by their team through all the slumps and dives Toronto has suffered? I saw George Gillette(sp?) in the stands. I couldn't help thinking that the money being spent on the production probably wasn't his.

As for the Habbies being the greatest hockey team of all time (assuming there weren't any really good ones at the turn of the century - circa 1800-1900) perhaps I don't understand hockey. That much ballyhooed survey was apparently commissioned by the Habs and was pretty carefully designed to get the desired result. I heard that on a commentary so it may or may not be accurate. Surveys are unfortunately like statistics - you can make 'em say pretty much whatever you want 'em to say.

If you rate a hockey organization by it's fans Toronto would have to be right up there. If you rate it by what they've done lately, well, that doesn't even need a reply. If you rate them on the most successful licensed product marketing organization I think a lot of people would say that Philly had the best machine for years and still stands as the high water mark in hockey market promo. If you are talking about the team with the greatest number of recognized player names over the years that would probably be Montreal, although that raises the question "So what?". They've had a lot more years than most teams to have the stars, but for star power they've been off the grid for years. The other 5 Big Six teams all had their moments with their share of greats at different times. Toronto hasn't really had the great players that other teams have had, but they've sure had some of the most beloved players of all time.

There's no question the Habs have been a great organization in the past, but then so was England once upon a time. It's a brave new world filled with a bunch of kids playing hockey at an incredible skill level. They're retiring at the age most of the great old names were just hitting their stride years ago. Even Ken Dryden seemed to be suggesting that it was time for the Habs to stop living in the past and let the kids do their own thing.

JF