protec powder paint

vinnimon

I have tried this this powder(glow in the dark)and it works.My issue is that when I do it according to instructions the powder tends to run,tried other ways,experemented and I let it be.Has anyone had success with this or is there a better product out there.For jigs it was fine,its the spoons Im having an issue with.Thanks

I use it all the time on my jigs!

How are you heating and curing your spoons?... I use a toaster oven and can control the heat very well with this method.

Are you using a white base coat?... I've found that a white base coat will promote dripping and running unless you cure the base before applying another coat.

Are you hanging you spoons vertically to cure them?... I've also found that hanging a jig or spoon horizontally while curing will minimize running and dripping.

You may also be over heating your spoons to coat them.. this is why I like using the toaster oven, I've found that 350*F is the best temp for most colors (except white, it does best between 300-325)

I like to cure all of my powder painted stuff at 350 for 30 minutes.

I have a problem on my old spoons.I wire brush them down so there is a rough base to stick to.I have tried hanging them and laying them flat.Its like runs in a paint job and it affects the glow,its uneven.I have tried preheating a few ways.The toaster oven would be ideal with a temp sensor,but the wife hitting me upside the noggin evertime ,I use it for that reason to get an even temp,but my noggin like the spoons are uneven.Thanks dear.But any way If I was to preheat in the oven,what would be an ideal temp?Thanks.The product works great,just needs some fine tuning.

Preheat at 350*F, apply your power and return it to the oven to "flash" (turn glossy)... remove after it flashes (I like to wait until the oven comes back up to 350 then remove) and let cool completely, then return them to the oven @350 for 30 minutes to cure.

You can buy a cheap little toaster oven at Wal-Mart or the likes for under $25, money well spent for this application! I got one last year at this time for $20 and it's still going strong, while you're at Wal-Mart go to the kitchen gadgets section and pick up an oven thermometer ($4) to put in your oven... the temp knob on the cheap toaster ovens aren't very accurate.

Powder painting requires a certain amount of trial and error before you get a good handle on it, keep at it and you'll be rewarded!!!

Thank you for your input,much apprec.Ill use advice next week.The wife is getting a new oven,when they go on sale at walmart, :unsure::whistling::whistling::whistling::oops: If they dont Im screwed.Im baking for xmass.I know I wont be be getting any treats after this toaster.She got one last year same reason of course. :whistling::whistling::whistling::oops::oops: Thanks again and good fishing.cheers talk you soon.

I want to offer tip to you all who are powdercoating you really really really cant use the oven for powder coating if you will be cooking food in it ever again. The powder compounds as they heat cure release gasses that bind with the fats of the food the next time you cook in it.

I have been powder coating for a few years now doing auto/ motorcycle items and have found a few tricks that can help you.

First you must clean all of the metals using a wire wheel but the prefered meathod is to use a sandblasting media like garnet (NEVER SAND). Once cleaned use a brake degreaser on the metal and make sure you do not touch the metal again with the bare hands. Then preheat the metal to 250 degrees F and remove from the oven. If you have a powder coating gun then use it to coat the metal if not I use a small straw and a piece of paper and gently blow the powder off the paper onto the metal make sure you don't inhale or get enough powder in the air to taste or smell it. As the powder touches the metal it will flash to a liquid but is not cured yet. Then place the item into the oven at 350 degrees F and bake for 25-30 minutes. Open the door and allow the heat to escape and come back to room temperature before handling.

Art