ice rod

redneck666

alrighty, i went to pick up a cheapy ice rod the other day for the (hopefully) up and comming season. it is a berkley lite medium action rod with a 1 bearing reel i believe. got it for $20.00 from the local trading post. anyone have this combo? it is my first ice rod too so the cheapy one fits in just fine. i got some berkley 4lb trilene already spooled on with plastic still covering the line, should i keep that line or???

Edited by bigredneck

I would change the line to a super line. I use crystal ice 4lb test 1 lb diameter and you can't beat the stuff. You feel the lightest tick. Also check out how smooth the drag on the reel is. If you target bigger species you might want to invest in a better reel with a better drag. If you just fishing pan fish your combo should do you just fine. Good luck

Get rid of the line......it tends to spring off the reel and untangling in minus temps with gloves is a pain and painful without gloves....lol. I also find the reels on these cheap combos are junk(mostly). I dont own any expensive ice rods....i believe the most expensive was a $40 combo which someone else bought me, i just take the reels off and use my summer reels spooled with ice braid. The only cheap ice combo reels that i found to be half decent were Shimano. Just my opinion folks, i'm sure there are those who will disagree, but i actually find it shocking how terrible ice combo reels tend to be, even on the more expensive combos IMO they are junk! You'd think they'd at least use a lubricant that doesnt stiffen the reel beyond use at +2 degrees C....lol.

OOOOPS...RANTING...lol

Get rid of the line......it tends to spring off the reel and untangling in minus temps with gloves is a pain and painful without gloves....lol. I also find the reels on these cheap combos are junk(mostly). I dont own any expensive ice rods....i believe the most expensive was a $40 combo which someone else bought me, i just take the reels off and use my summer reels spooled with ice braid. The only cheap ice combo reels that i found to be half decent were Shimano. Just my opinion folks, i'm sure there are those who will disagree, but i actually find it shocking how terrible ice combo reels tend to be, even on the more expensive combos IMO they are junk! You'd think they'd at least use a lubricant that doesnt stiffen the reel beyond use at +2 degrees C....lol.

OOOOPS...RANTING...lol

You do have a valid point with the cheap reels, we all go to the store and try them out in the store at +20C and when we go to use them at -10, the inner workings are stiffer than molasses. Open up the reel and replace the grease with some NLGI #1 or #0 grease, much smoother. Then the next is the drag, works good in the store, throw the reel in the freezer for an hour and see the difference.

well mainly i'll be going for lake trout. there are no real big ones that in the lake that i'll be fishing. there'll also be whitefish, perch, walleye and maybe specks. the drag seems good whe nits warm but i'll take your guys advice and check it out when i somewhat freeze it, lol. i just finished greasing up my good reel this morning before i went out to get me some whitefish (didnt catch none but their there alright).