want to try winter steelhead fishing.

fish_fishburn

Hi guys, new to this site and am finding it very interesting and entertaining. My buddy and I want to give winter steelhead fishing a try but I don't know where to go. I live in the upper Ottawa Valley and would like to know what river to fish that is the closest to where I live. I know that southern ontario has probably the best fishing but for the first time want to try somewhere closer to home. Any suggestions would be gratefull. My buddy is from B.C. so he has fished steelhead for many years so I have a good teacher. Do you need a seperate salmon fishing license or just a provincial one. We will be shore fishing since the boats are put away for the winter. Thanks Fish

I would suspect that Lake Ontario tributaries would be your best bet. Pick up a copy of the Ontario regs and check out expanded fishing opportunities, this should let you find the areas on rivers still legal to fish. Also if the river is listed there chances are there is some type of migratory salmonid running in it. No special lisence required beyond the regular one.

There are no doubt many opportunities south of the border that may be closer, however others more familliar would be better to speak to this.

It would still be a bit of a drive and I have never been there only had friends with favourable reports, but look at the eastern end of Lake Ontario, New York State and a town called Pulaski and the Salmon River, it is probably the closest good steelhead river that remains open as the flow is regulated for hydro power production.

Edited by dave524

It would still be a bit of a drive and I have never been there only had friends with favourable reports, but look at the eastern end of Lake Ontario, New York State and a town called Pulaski and the Salmon River, it is probably the closest good steelhead river that remains open as the flow is regulated for hydro power production.

And Big and Little Sandy creeks are there too.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the salmon river is a good time. they have a pretty neat stocking program on that river where essentially the fish swim into the hatchery...

i spent a week there this spring and had a fantastic time. weekends were a little busy but during the week i essentially had the section of river near my motel all to myself...