No Steelhead for me!

Eazy

Been a reel bad year for me as far as steelheading goes!..........I've thrown the kitchen sink at them this year, but to no avail!

I almost exclusively use hardware, as this has worked for me other years, just don't seem to have the patience for float fishing, maybe thats my problem?

Been a reel bad year for me as far as steelheading goes!..........I've thrown the kitchen sink at them this year, but to no avail!

I almost exclusively use hardware, as this has worked for me other years, just don't seem to have the patience for float fishing, maybe thats my problem?

I feel your pain...One season I tried to do the hardware thing the entire fall, winter and following spring :wallbash::lol:

I blanked on a bunch of trips during the winter and early spring

On the bright side, I've never caught so many larger trophy fish in one season :thumbsup_anim:

Keep at it...BELIEVE

Edited by MJL

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i find hardware might work an hour in a day. perhaps the secret to your success is to adapt and take up the float.

i still bring my spinning rod most trips because there are times when they will mash a spoon real aggressive and not touch a roe bag. that said, i believe the opposite is true more often.

Ya they hit gear. And in very large rivers it is sometimes the easiest way to get a cast out to your target.

Try experimenting with smaller spinners and spoons.

Theres been a couple times I can remember having a very tough day with float and bottom bouncing then picked up 2 or 3 quick on spoons. Whether there was a feeding window or it just took a little flash to lure them, Im not sure.

Thanks for all the input!...........I'm fishing tribs north of sault area which are sometimes on the deeper side, so that is why I'm using hardware, and also greater casting distance is a must..

Try a 5g float set up with your spinning reel, if it is deep, that will be fine and you should be able to get some good distance with the weight.

Thanks for all the input!...........I'm fishing tribs north of sault area which are sometimes on the deeper side, so that is why I'm using hardware, and also greater casting distance is a must..

Not really on the deeper side...

With the exception of the Michipicoten and maybe the Steel all those rivers you fish are spate rivers.

Wait for rain or runoff to raise and colour them up a bit, otherwise you've really got to scratch for fish.

With the exception of the Michipicoten and maybe the Steel all those rivers you fish are spate rivers.

Wait for rain or runoff to raise and colour them up a bit, otherwise you've really got to scratch for fish.

Shouldnt you be posting pics from your trip today instead of replying to these posts,..lol. just kidding.

The fish are there alright. Ive found a few spots and setups that produce in low clear water.

Small baits man, you will have a hard time scaring fish up on big cleos or whatnot.

Dammit I miss steelhead fishing. Mike we should get a northshore tour going next year.

Ahh well back to the muskie...

The rivers in my area are kind of "Tea colored" so they might be colored enough as is?.............often wondered as wel if they might be getting spooked by the smack of the lure when it hits the water?.....probably not like other game fish when it comes to this(ie; Pike, who are attracted to sound of any kind)

The rivers in my area are kind of "Tea colored" so they might be colored enough as is?.............often wondered as wel if they might be getting spooked by the smack of the lure when it hits the water?.....probably not like other game fish when it comes to this(ie; Pike, who are attracted to sound of any kind)

Tea coloured for sure, but steelhead are steelhead wherever you find them.

Meaning they generally run the rivers after either a rain or runoff has risen the levels.

Rain or runoff will have a positive effect on even your tea stained rivers.

Unlike many of the rivers to the south, those high gradient freestone rivers will drop and clear on a dime after a rainfall or runoff event.

Try and be fishing the day after an event and you'll do much better.

Yes, Troutologist is correct, there are deeper holding pools where you'll find steelhead in even low water. But success in steelheading really boils to one thing: timing.

Learning how all the various rivers you fish react to a rainfall or runoff event and timing your trips accordingly.

Timing, timing, timing. That's the key.

Also some of the larger flows up there are very condusive to floatfishing, but most are tailor made for bottom bouncing.

If I were you I'd learn how to bottom bounce effectively. Fresh roe is a no brainer as bait of choice if you're able to harvest a fish with eggs.

In your neck of the woods I'd personally be harvesting and freezing as much pink salmon roe as I could each september.

Keep the hardware as a backup or a change of pace if nothing is working.

If you're in doubt fish down low. There's usually always some fish sniffing around the creek mouths in the lake. I've caught lots of fish north of the Soo casting hardware while wading the beaches at the creek mouths.

Edited by solopaddler

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

hey eazy,

i stick by what i say about the float. i live in the sault, likely fish the same tribs, have maybe even seen you out this year, and i fare VERY well with the floatgear. 9/10 i outfish the guys throwing hardware on the streams, even the large ones... ;)