Weekend Hunting Report

Skud

Started my weekend off by spending the morning with Misfish in his neck of the woods. We sat in tree stands about 150 yards apart. We entertained ourselves by making deer calls back and forth to each other. Brian seen I doe that was to far for a shot. I only heard the critters run about in the thick brush behind me, no sightings. When I got home I discovered my family was gone till the evening so I headed down to my haunt to sit in the blind. Was settled in for 3:15 and by 3:25 that menacing Grouse was back to taunt me. Having learned my lesson I took care not to put my arrow through the blind again and hit my mark. Ruffed Grouse Down.

Grouse.jpg

I settled back in the bind and waited. I made the occasional call with no results. At about 5:10pm I decided it was now to dark to shot and started to pack up. Just then a Doe walks out and starts feeding on the apples. Although I could still see my sight pins, the doe was too blurry when looking through the peep. I sat back and watched the doe until the flash went of on my trail cam and scared her off. This is the pic. I think it was just a fawn.

Doeflash.jpg

I took that opportunity to scoot myself. I still had a deer snort at me as I left so I guess it didn't go to far or there was another.

I ended up sleeping in this morning so I again sat for the afternoon in my blind. I saw only one squirrel. As I left I grabbed the SD card from the trail cam. It had 228 pics on it from the last 48 hours. I guessed it was mostly raccoons but to my surprise almost 200 of the pics were deer. The majority was two does and a new buck. He looks like a 1 1/2 year old, a 5 point. That makes a total of 5 bucks cruising the area.(If all are still alive)

Little5point.jpg

Little5point-2.jpg

This is the one Doe I have over 100 pics of. She is not shy of the camera at all and hangs around all night.

Piggy.jpg

All the pics now are only at night. Since I am restricted to my Dads small property I can not set up closer to a better feeding area or bedding area. I will have to spend every afternoon in that stand during the rut hoping for a deer to make it to my blind before dark. Sounds like fun.

Edited by Skud

Great report and nice bird shot bud.Not an easy feat.

Was out tonight after work.Never took my eyes off the corner of the corn field.LOL

I have another pic of the doe.Just after dark.She is hanging around.

Out wednesday and friday afternoon if the rain holds off,and all weekend.

Will have to make a trip up to pops and get acouple of those ladder stands.You can take one to your spot if you like.

Edited by misfish

I also sat in the blind this afternoon. Didn't see any deer, just a porcupine eating the carrots. Also heard some turkeys gobbling like they were being chased by something. My cam again took close to 100 pics last night. Three or more Does and the 5 point Buck all at night. I need to think of a different strategy to catch these deer during the day or just lay off till it gets colder.

TreeDoes.jpg

Edited by Skud

Great shot on the grouse!

Maybe try bringing the apples/carrots for a couple nights after midnight or early morning 2-3am. Pain, but may bring them around later (within a 1/2 hr before sunrise anyways)

While to sit, but if they are around while dark, you may keep them close and call'em back.

Worked for me once, coincidence, maybe.

Edited by Harrison

Maybe try bringing the apples/carrots for a couple nights after midnight or early morning 2-3am. Pain, but may bring them around later (within a 1/2 hr before sunrise anyways)

While to sit, but if they are around while dark, you may keep them close and call'em back.

Sounds like a good trick I can try Sat morn. Thanks for the tip.

Give it a shot bud, hope it works out for ya.

I don't bait anymore, after years of hunting a property we figured out their paths to and from bedding areas. Pretty cool actually, the big boy (14plus, haven't seen him this year, though I took his son a 10point a couple days ago) uses a row of cedars maybe 10 ft wide through hardwoods, and always 1 hour before shooting time. I am hoping one day to catch him after a long night with a ladie and he is running late. They are big for a reason! :D

Edited by Harrison