Treating Gortex boot

siwash

Hey folks,

Just picked up a pair of Irish Setter Mt Claw boots (600g thin.)

The retailers weren't very helpful with how to care for the product... but the price was so great, couldn't care at this point!

So what should I do for an initial "treatment"? I have a Gortex spray... I also have mink oil. Should I use something else? Should I just leave them alone and wait til the get dirty?

Thanks!

Edited by swordfish

how soon do you nead to wear them? if you don't need to this week then I would soak/spray then a few times with the Gortex that you have, I like to add the spray/coat when they are new so it's the base layer of protection, but that's just me...

Check with the manufacturers direction. I was always told,we finally got Gortex boots in the Army not too long ago, not to treat them with anything as your feet are supposed to breath, that's whats Gortex is for. Just make sure that you wash your boots with a brush and water.

I found this on their web site

Caring for Your Irish Setter Boots

Before applying care products to boots, first clean them with warm water and a stiff bristle brush. Mink oil is recommended to re-condition leathers, while silicone products should be used sparingly on non-leather surfaces.

All care treatment products can affect the appearance of leather; consult the product supplier for more information or details. After conditioning leather with mink oil, application of leather protector is recommended.

Are these goretex boots or some other kind of waterproof breathable?

In this case, a simple spray with and DWR (durable water repellant) will be sufficient, but be sure to give it enough time to dry (e.g. overnight) before use.

Also, be sure to air them out. Goretex is great for keeping water out. It's also not that bad at keeping water in, despite the breathable rating. i.e. if you dunk or sweat to some significant amount, which can happen quite easily with thick socks, then air them out at the end of the day.

Enjoy!

EDIT: As for caring for goretex, for garments i will wash with a mild detergent and then reapply a DWR (usually a wash-in solution). For boots, mine are leather exterior so I give them a quick wash with your favourite leather wash (be careful as some stuff will turn your leather into nubuck!), and then reapply the DWR about once a year. For anything goretex, a good indication of when you need to reapply the DWR is when you notice water saturating the material. Fresh DWR will cause water to bead, even after a soaking. Signs of it being time to reapply is when your garment/boot shows saturation by water (dark patches). Even if the water hasn't penetrated through, although it shouldn't due to the goretex, the DWR should be reapplied for prevention purposes.

I still recommend following up with the retailer about specific care instructions, but this is how I've dealt with my goretex garments. MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) likely has a good write-up on goretex garment care.

Edited by jayess

I found this on their web site

Caring for Your Irish Setter Boots

Before applying care products to boots, first clean them with warm water and a stiff bristle brush. Mink oil is recommended to re-condition leathers, while silicone products should be used sparingly on non-leather surfaces.

All care treatment products can affect the appearance of leather; consult the product supplier for more information or details. After conditioning leather with mink oil, application of leather protector is recommended.

Ya I saw that too..

thanks...