Float Rod Suggestions

Guidofisherman

After reading the previous post on what float reel to buy, I am happy that this past summmer I did buy an Islander reel. Now I need your suggestions on what rod to buy. I borrowed a 13' 6" Aventa rod and found it a bit long and clumbsy, but that might be just my first attempts. I was thinking of an 11' 6" rod for the rivers along the north shore of Superior, but am open to suggestions. What names/brands should I be looking at, and what characteristics in the rod should I consider?

Alan

I've also been looking for a rod in the 11'-11'6" length mainly for some of the smaller rivers near my house. With Loomis Canada gone, there really isn't a whole lot of options available for rods in that length in a "great lakes style" of action. Some rods that I've found but haven't had the chance to have in my hand and are currently available on the market include (in no particular order):

- 11'6" St. Croix Wild River (4-10)

- 11'3" G. Loomis GLX (6-10)

- 11'6" Raven IM6 (6-12)

If you build your own rods or know someone local who does, you can also take a look at building a switch fly rod conversion - I might go this route myself with an 11ft 5/6wt for the rivers I fish. If you do decide to go the switch rod conversion route, take note that very few companies will warranty the blank if it breaks in that configuration...I think Sage might be the only one that does. The blanks are also generally more tip heavy and faster in action than most purpose built float rod blanks.

I'm not really familiar with the rivers up Superior way so it's hard to recommend what rod action to look for to suit your fishing needs. Maybe some of the other anglers who fish up there can chime in.

if you found the aventa clumbsy, it's def not the rod length....aventa's are garbage, spaghetti noodles basically...

I've fished quite a few brands and once you get into the higher end models it's really hard to pick what's "best"....it all comes down to personal preference really and your personal fishing style

if it's your first float rod I wouldn't break the bank really....get something in the middle price point....one thing I would for sure recommend would be to get a rod with sliding reel rings and experiment with where you place your reel....

MJL listed some good models there, i have the wild series myself and have fished my buddy's raven quite a bit...both good rods....

if you're fishing superior tribs, which in my exp are smaller and filled with brush, is I would look for a shorter with medium action....as opposed to an UL or light action....

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

alan,

i began with an okuma aventa im6. it was exactly as you said... total wet noodle and i sent two back for warranty.

staying in the affordable range, i'd recommend a raven although i wouldn't give up on the 13 footer. i have the raven im8 13ft and it is a dandy stick for the price and still small enough that i fish it on most of the superior tribs around sault ste. marie, PLUS i have a bit of confidence in the larger rivers such as the st. mary's, michipicoten, batchewana etc... would love to try out my gear on some of those lovely NW Superior tribs... *cough* steel river *cough*

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

also, just wondering if you've found the steel in superior to be rather small this fall? seems to be predominantly one age class, and a few real big fish, but nothing up the middle... just an observation...

This gentleman located in Caledonia, ON has a line of truly amazing line of float rod blanks made for him by CTS in New Zealand. http://jccustomtackle.com/

These are currently the cream of the crop imo.

Very, very light, but tons of power. Graphite is in my opinion in between imx and glx in quality.

I agree with you on the shorter rod. One of the blanks he's got is a 12' 2pc, and I believe it's exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and directions. MJL's suggestions are rods I see used on the rivers up here. I haven't given up on the 13' length just yet, but was leaning to the fixed reel seat rather than the sliding rings. Thanks Solopaddler for the custom rod link. This sounds interesting. I'll send him an e-mail. Now I can start shopping for Christmas!

To Dr. Salvelinus: at our last NSSA club meeting, the word from the Steelhead guru biologist, and confirmed by other veteran members, your observations are correct. The big fish are the remnants of the 5/6 year class. The lack of mid range fish is a result of the poor year class results for those years '02 to '07 where there were hot dry summers and severe winters.

Here is a link to the actual data: http://www.northshoresteelhead.com/project3.htm

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Alan