First Weekend Trapping

LucG

The beaver quota is different for each line. It's based on population estimates and the size of the area trapped. They have "quota's" instead of limits to keep the population steady. Without a harvest the beaver population would rise and eventually crash, then start back up from the bottom. The quota is designed to keep the density just below the "crash" threshold, so you have a consistently healthy and high (but not too high) beaver population from year to year. If you have a trap line and don't meet your quota, you can eventually lose it.

The trees they eat help with the population estimates. They can do aerial surveys looking for "active" beaver houses that have fresh food caches, and multiply that count with the average number of beavers per house for that region.

Great post LucG, I've read the new responses a few times and honestly am glad no one has made negative comments. Just reconfirms to me that this is the best community on the net.

I look forward to any of your future posts in regards to what you might have trapped. I may even consider getting into it one day (mind you I said the same thing about hunting 10 years ago and just did my hunters' safety course this past weekend). How does one get into it anyways, are there courses or something or do you have to take up the skills by apprenticing?

Thanks Northhunter, I couldnt have said that better myself.

But here's to answer a few of your questions Stonefly.

1) Your limit is 21 beaver? that seems like alot? is it that high becasue they are poor lumberjacks as they cut alot of trees down and dont use them and dont plant any?

Like Stonehunter said, quotas varie depending on trapline size, and beaver population. I know trappers that have qutoas for 5 beaver and some that have quotas for 250. So 21 is actually quite low. Beavers are the only animal in which you must catch at least 75% of your quota or you risk getting charged or risk losing your trapline.

2) What are the pelts used for? what market do they sell in?

Beavers are used in alot of different ways. The better ones are used in garments and such. You'd be amazed at what a nice sheared beaver looks like :P The lower quality beavers can be used in things like stetson hats etc. The list goes on. Canadian beavers are very popular in Russia, China, and even in Montreal.

3) Can Beaver be eaten? ( besides the obvious ;)

Many people do eat beaver, if prepared well, I'm told they tast quite well.

4) what kind of traps?

I use a "conibear" style trap. That is a body gripping trap.

So if you only get $20 per beaver and your limit is 21, it isnt hugely lucrative,...is this like a hunting thing? is there a satisfaction simliar to hunting or fishing for that matter? Again, not stirring the pot, just asking.

The satisfaction is identical to when I take down that nice buck, or land that big bass. As I mentioned above, I do not do it to make money.

Great post LucG, I've read the new responses a few times and honestly am glad no one has made negative comments. Just reconfirms to me that this is the best community on the net.

I look forward to any of your future posts in regards to what you might have trapped. I may even consider getting into it one day (mind you I said the same thing about hunting 10 years ago and just did my hunters' safety course this past weekend). How does one get into it anyways, are there courses or something or do you have to take up the skills by apprenticing?

I am also glad the way people have responded, but I'm not surprised, as like you said, this is one of the best boards I've been a member on.

In order to become a legal trapper, you must first complete and pass a Fur Bearer Management and Conservation Course. This cost between $200-$300 depending on where you take it. Once you pass the exam, you can them buy your trapping lisence. But before you get a lisence you must have a place to trap. Wether it be a registered trapline, or a piece of private property.