walleye trolling rod?

carll2

awesome thanks

i use to have a really amazing lure its the luhr jensen hot lips with the big lip silver/blue..it would get down to about 30-33 feet and get those walleye to bite but they stopped making them.. :( ..il figure out the winning lure again

i cant wait to get on the water..i leave as soon as the ice goes..normally the ice goes the 2nd week of may, last year it went the end of the 1st week..im hopeing the ice will be gone for may 1st so i have tome to settle in and find the spots..atleasrs il have some good pics when i get back

If you are intent on fishing cranks/minnow baits down deep, GbayGiant had the best advice of attaching a floating plug (eg, the rapala floaters) behind a bottom bouncer. A 3 way swivel & some weight will also do the same thing. Remember, the longer the lead the more the bait will be able to dive so keep that in mind. I would be more inclined to jig at those depths but whatever works for you.

Cheers,

ben.

It seems to me that a Lead Core set up would be the best of all worlds for your application... then, you could run just about any crank you want, at the desired depth.

Also, don't forget about Offshore's snap weight system as another alternative.

For cranks, try; Wally Divers, LJ Power Dives, Manns Stretch 20, HotnTot, any deep diving Rap ...

HH

prettty good advice guys.. man there are so many options.. well let the lure shopping begin.. there is lots of stumps at the bottom since they logged it and flooded it so for this reason i was thinking of going with spider-wire 30lb with a 6lb diameter. this way i can use it to jig and or troll without using leaders, thats what my friend does with great sucess :rolleyes:

I mostly use 20lbs braided line and have never had it break yet, It bends the jig hook before the line breaks. However it cuts very easy on sharp objects and is highly visible in the water, so I always go with usually a 20lbs fluorocarbon leader of 3-4 feet usually that is invisible and can handle some sharp objects, just check it for nicks once in a while.

But the superlines will cut like butter when they hit something sharp (teeth or rocks etc..) so they are not good leaders. :canadian:

GbayGiant has it right... I too always use a mono or fluorocarbon leader when jigging or even casting cranks with a braided line. If you have 2 jigging rods, I suggest putting a braided line on one and 8lb mono on the other. I only jig walleye with braided line once I start fishing 20-25 feet or deeper.

ahhh very interesting.. awesome tips guys

yeah my friend that uses spider wire cuts the line and re ties the lure after every 3-4 fish, or else like you say it get very weak and will cut easily..il have 3 reels one with spider wire 20lbs. one with stren 8lb clear mono and stren 8lb gold ...i should have alll the bases covered..man i never knew beeing a guide was this much preperation lol but i cant wait

i know the knowledge everybody has around here is really great. i learned more here in 2 days than i would have in 1 year. now hopefully this fall i will have some tips and tricks of my own to share with other newbies that need some help. and dont worry i will have more questions before i leave lol

thanks again

well guys i made the big purchase today.

i bought my rod/reel from a local tackle shop that i buy everything from. i rather support a local tackle shop than a big store like cablas or le baron,plus this guy gives me a 10% discount from beeing a member on a quebec fishing website.

so here what i bought

rod-Fenwick techna av 6"6

reel(spinning)- shimano symetre 2500ri

and with the rod i got a free fenwick rodcase :thumbsup_anim:

in all this set me back 300$ tax included.. not bad

now i have the hunting and fishing show tommrow, lets see what kind of lures i can find

thanks again for all the help

Damn I forgot how much good fishing gear is. :o No' but that's a great set-up and warranty, you'll fall in love with that one. :wub:

Just a thought for you, I got my first wood handled rod 2 years ago and I can feel a jig or lure bounce of each pebble or anything it touches, and the red cedar used you can't even tell the difference in weight it's still super light and far more sensitive than cork. Just think of the vibration you get when you hit a wood baseball bat, now I'm getting all my rods with wood handles. :lol: I have a sensitivity problem when it comes to walleye.

P.S. I think you went over your 100-$200 budget.

Edited by GbayGiant

hey i love the rod already..i have a spot in my bed for it already!!! lol.. i know the whole budget thing was blown but as you guys explained to me im better getting quality since i will be using it day in and day out. now i cant wait to use it, is it really that sensative that you feel every rock and pebble?wow.

one little question i was wondering about since i need all these rod/reels for work tools next year may i claim them on my taxes or atleast a percentage?